Saturday, May 06, 2006

Look, I made something pretty


strawberry rhubarb soup
Originally uploaded by bunchofpants.

... and delicious. And easy. I didn't find any rhubarb at the Farmers Market, however ... it doesn't actually grow that well around here, come to find out. So naturally I bought myself a rhubarb plant (they had those at the market). The guy, who sold it to me said "You have to really love it to get it to grow around here." He said it only wants morning sun, and you need to keep it moist. He also said to fill the hole with lots of organic matter like compost, which coincidentally I have plenty of--I declared my latest batch of compost "ready" about a week ago. So I planted the rhubarb on the east side of our shed where it's well-protected from that nasty afternoon sun, and I'll see how it goes.

Anyway, so I bought rhubarb at Ho Foods, and made some absolutely scrumptious strawberry rhubarb soup using this recipe from Veggie Life magazine:

1 cup 3/4-inch dice rhubarb
1/4 raw sugar (I used regular old white sugar because that's what I've got hanging around my kitchen.)
2 tablespoons orange juice
1-1/4 teaspoons arrowroot
1 cup water
2 tablespoons raw sugar (again, I used white)
2 teaspoons rose water (optional ... good thing too, because I wasn't about to buy rose water for one lousy recipe)
1-1/2 cups chopped strawberries

1. Preheat oven to 425. In a medium bowl combine rhubarb, 1/4 cup sugar and orange juice. Transfer mixture to a baking dish and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until rhubarb is cooked but still retains it's shape. (I baked for 15 minutes, and it retained its shape until I added it to the final soup, when it fell apart. Still tasted good, though.) Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.

2. In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and 2 tablespoons water. Whisk until smooth.

3. In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons sugar and rose water (or not rose water. Your call. I skipped it and didn't miss it.) Bring to a simmer over medium heat and slowly whisk in arrowroot mixture. Continue to cook until liquid becomes clear--but don't let it boil. (OK, my liquid never really became clear--it stayed a little milky and then I just grew weary of simmering it and said fuck it, I'm done. It tasted great.) Remove from heat.

4. Add strawberries, cooled rhubarb and accumulated juices. Chill well before serving.

3 comments:

Nyx said...

looks delicious, I'll have to give it a go! Theres loads of new season strawberries and rhubarb at the markets. Rhubarb can grow for years too, I think my grandad had a 100 year old plant or something...

Nyx said...

looks delicious, I'll have to give it a go! Theres loads of new season strawberries and rhubarb at the markets. Rhubarb can grow for years too, I think my grandad had a 100 year old plant or something...

Anonymous said...

Mmmm really easy.
Except don't leave the rhubarb in the oven too long or things will get pretty smokey!

Thanks!