Thursday, May 25, 2006

Why do we love Durham?

The Indy published its "What I Love About Durham" list this week. They solicited entries a few weeks ago and I wanted to contribute, but the whole laziness thing got in the way. But it's a really long list! The Duke Park traffic circle up the street from Christa's house even gets a mention! I think one of the things I love about Durham is that most of the people who live here love it just as much as I do, while people who don't live here just don't get it. So I feel like one of the few, the proud ...

Here's a good one:
A few years ago during a morning stroll in downtown Durham, a young man approached and with great enthusiasm told me about his new restaurant, the Cocoa Cafe. He urged me to give it a try. I agreed. We walked a few blocks and to my surprise entered another business, Mr. Shoe. In the back of the store an old man waited on a customer. Near the front, amid the racks of repaired shoes, was a table and two chairs and a counter with several packages of store-bought cocoa. I smiled as the young man boiled some water. He asked how I liked the cocoa. I told him it was great. I left the Cocoa Cafe, amused by Durham's quirkiness. Later that evening I spotted him handing out business cards on Ninth Street.--Bill Pope
Yesterday someone told me that my house was an example of one of the things they love about Durham (seeing as how it's bright orange and all). Hey, I'm more than happy to do my part to keep Durham a kooky little city!

No comments: