Sunday, June 11, 2006

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood ...

My dogs are good for me. Without them I don't think I'd roam the alleyways of my neighborhood as much as I do (we have a route--up a street, down an alley, up a street ... and so on). Over the past couple of weeks I've been watching an interesting structure come together atop a flatbed trailer in one alley. It's looking like a cross between a Quonset hut and an A-frame. So today we were walking by and found the proprietors of said structureout working on it. Meet Hopu and Jesse:

hopu and jesse by bunchofpants on HyperMob
Click here to see the photo on Flickr.

So of course I asked them what they were building, and they said it was going to be their house! They are looking for someone to allow them to park it in their yard, and that's where they plan to live. They really like this neighborhood and they want to live here, albeit as cheaply as possible. The space it occupies now is courtesy of their landlady. Anyway, they have a blog where you can find more photos and plans.

Their project reminds me of a guy named Carlos we met on Caye Caulker in Belize, who lived in a tiny home he had built:

carlos and his tiny house by bunchofpants on HyperMob
Click here to see the photo on Flickr.

I loved his little house--it was perfect for one person, but I'm not sure how well it would have worked for two. It was on a friends's property, but it wasn't on a trailer (I think there were only one or two trucks on the island big enough to tow a trailer--most people got around on bicycles, golf carts or on foot). There was no bathroom, but I think he could use the one in his friends house, as well as those in the many bars and restaurants on the island. I always wonder if he still lives in it--I e-mailed him after we got back but he never replied.

I've read several articles before about the "tiny house movement," and I find it fascinating. I've contemplated what it would be like to live in such a tiny space, not just out of idle curiosity but because Mr. Pants' dream has long been to live on a sailboat, and our boat probably offers about as much living space as one of these tiny houses. I'm not sure if I could do it (although the tiny house has one advantage over a boat--it's not constantly swaying). I have thought about living in a house a bit smaller than we do now, and I think it would be a good idea. I'd have to jettison a lot of stuff, but I need to do that anyway.

Anyway, I'm interested to see the Hopu and Jesse's finished project. I think it's going to be a work of art. Meanwhile, if anyone knows of a suitable place for them to park it ...

4 comments:

lisa said...

it looks like i can't click through to those photos without registering for "hypermob", which i don't want to do.

have you given up on flickr? one of the truly great things about flickr is that one needn't be a member to see pictures.

Lisa B. said...

Well, I didn't mean to tease anyone ... but you can't actually register for Hypermob anyway ... it's in closed beta. (I believe that once it's public you won't have to register to see stuff) I only used it to post those photos because I'm testing out that particular functionality. I didn't really think about the fact that people would actually click-through on those photos ... I'll upload them both to Flickr and add an alternate link.

I haven't given up on Flickr at all ... I'm just also using/testing Hypermob! It is (or will be) for more than just photos.

lisa said...

ok, good! well, tell the hypermob people that requiring registration to view anything on the site is BAD, and if they are planning to require it, they should re-think their plans.

hopefully, they are clueful and realize this already. the flickr model is very good, so is the okcupid model for this kind of thing.

Lisa B. said...

Some of the devs have been Flickr usrs for a long time, so I think they know (but I'll make sure, and at least one of them stumbles by this blog from time to time ...)

I think the registration page is the default for now because it's closed, and that's the easiest place to redirect for now.

But look, I put up Flickr links!!