Saturday, July 15, 2006

Er, um, hot enought for ya?

Went to the farmers market on our bikes again this morning, only to realize that now thats it's watermelon season maybe it would be OK to drive there. Mr. Pants said he was willing to try putting a watermelon in his backpack, but that it was up to me because he didn't want any watermelon. The man is a freak--who doesn't want watermelon on a crazy hot day like today? (The thermometer outside my window says 97, and I'll swear in court that the humidity feels like 99%.) So I decided not to get a watermelon. We bought some potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, green peppers and "cage-free" eggs (Michael Pollan has convinced me that industrial eggs are serious bad juju).

While at the market I ran into Steve Mobley, a guy I used to work with who raises grass-fed beef in Franklin County. That's another thing Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma has convinced me of--that I would feel OK about eating local, pastured, grass-finished beef. So maybe one of these days I'll buy something from Steve (he'll have eggs available soon, too, so that's who I'll buy from in the future). The problem is that if I pay a premium price for meat, I'm not going to trust myself to cook it. What if I ruin it? Maybe I should just stick with tofu ...

Anyway, after the market excursion, we rode the AmTob trail again, and I thought I was going to die. Seriously, it's goddamn hot out there. I had to stop at one point and sit on a bench under a bridge because I was feeling faint. Then again, after making it back to downtown (which is built on a hill, I have noticed recently), I didn't think I was going to make it home. I was lightheaded and my arms and legs felt like rubber. Fortuitously, the Blue Coffee was open. I stopped and got a "Berry Boost" smoothie, and Mr. Pants had a blueberry cheescake milkshake. We soaked up the air conditioning and talked with the new owner of the place. She was so nice that I'm determined to go back and try more milkshake flavors (they have eleventy million flavors of soft-serve ice cream there.) The smoothie gave me the strength and the will to get back home.

Once here I had cage-free scrambled eggs and toast (The eggs tasted just like any other eggs ... I was hoping they were going to be the best eggs I'd ever had, but no, they were just eggs.) I also watched the made-in-Durham bilingual soap opera Nuestro Barrio. It's a little cheesy--the background music is the worst part--and they sort of hit you over the head with their Important Message (today's was that housing discrimination is illegal). Nonetheless it would be a great way to brush up on one's Spanish because it's all subtitled, whether the dialog is in Spanish or English.

I think I'll lie around for a while, then I'm going to go see Pirates of The Caribbean with Santa Salsera. I've heard it sucks, but it sucks with Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom. I think I can handle that.

3 comments:

scott said...

Hey Lisa. Mr. Pants mentioned that you weren't too impressed with your market eggs. I suggest you try Tiny Farm next time - their eggs are the best at the market, imho.

btw, Steve Mobley's beef, which is absurdly delicious, isn't actually grass-finished. He finishes it with a mix of grains, including locally grown corn, but does it all in pasture - no feedlots. I've been calling it grass fed too, but we were talking to him the other day and Allison asked about the diference between grass-fed and grass-finished. anyhoo...

Lisa B. said...

Ahh, I guess I assumed that because he doesn't send his cows to a feedlot that they were grass-finished. But since they are in pasture, it's not like they can't munch on grass if they feel like it, so I'm sure it's still waay better than feedlot beef. And except for the slaughtering part they are probably pretty content.

Steve is a really good guy, BTW.

I will try Tiny Farm eggs--where do they set up? I didn't see many other places selling eggs. I want the egg equivalent of Baba Ganouj's baba ganouj ...

scott said...

tiny farm is at the bottom of the market - essentially across the way from Steve's beef stand. And yeah, way waaaayyyy better than feedlot beef, from both the cow's perspective and a potential diner's.

I personally think that any patured chicken egg is better (-tasting, -smelling, -feeling, -you name it) than any industrial egg (sometimes one of my coworkers brings eggs in from his chickens - they are better than grocery store eggs; I used to get eggs from my barber - they were better than grocery store eggs), and I personally feel tiny farm has the best eggs at the market. That's all very subjective, though, and, if you tried some farmers' market eggs (Mr. Pants can't remember where you got them) and thought they were substantially similar to industrial eggs, hmmm....maybe you just like baba ganouj more than you like eggs?

Finally, I might suggest that, just for kicks, you take an egg from a local farm and take an egg from Kroger, and poke a little hole in the wide end of each egg, and boil these two eggs, side by side, for exactly six and a half minutes, then cool them under running water, peel them, and eat them side by side, with tiny sprinkle of salt. I'd be interested to know what you think.