Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Who kicked my dog?

Things are too busy lately--at work and in real life. I'm now teaching three dog classes a week because so many people wanted to take my flyball class that we had to split it into two classes (plus the puppy class I teach). So now there are three nights of my week gone to the dogs. I'm feeling slightly stretched thin, so I was very happy when last night's classes were canceled because it was just too hot to be outside running around with dogs. But instead of relaxing, I got to take my little dog to the vet.

I have no idea what happened, but sometime between the morning and when I arrived home from work in the afternoon, Lucy hurt her right side ... we think. She was acting normally when I left for work, and when I got home she was acting like just walking across the room was painful. She didn't seem to want to move--either to sit, lie down or stand back up again, and she was hunching her back just a little when she walked. So I took her to the vet--who could only determine that Lucy had a painful spot near one of her ribs on the right side. The X-rays didn't show any problems with ribs or organs, and the blood tests showed normal organ functions. So the vet gave Lucy a shot of Dexamethasone for pain, and sent some Prednisone home for me to give her.

This just made my week a little less busy because I really shouldn't run Lucy in the flyball tournament we were going to got to in Philadelphia this weekend. Which means I probably won't be spending Friday in a van with two teammates on our way north (although I'm still considering just going for the hell of it--I wouldn't if it were just me driving, but a road trip could be fun). Nonetheless, I still feel stressed, perhaps because I have no idea what happened to Lucy to make her side hurt, and I'm hoping it's not a sign of something worse.

Stress makes me tired, so maybe I'll go to bed now.

3 comments:

Esther said...

Aw man, poor Lucy! I'll be thinking quick healing thoughts for her.

Sarah said...

Poor Lucy, I hope she feels better very soon!

r4kk4 said...

poor lucy!! get better soon, pups!!