Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Curses, foiled again ...

I was supposed to go on a little field trip at work today--I was invited to tag along on a visit to a "broiler shed," i.e. an industrial chicken farm, with the idea that I would take some photos to keep on file for any future projects that may involve broilers. Alas, I was foiled by yet another migraine and stayed home. I've ingested the appropriate pharmaceuticals and am waiting for the last vestiges of said headache to depart. Maybe the headache was my body's way of saying "Noooo! Don't go to the broiler shed! It will make you very, very sad!" Because I think it would have. I've seen photos, I've read descriptions, and it just sounds so awful. But I figured there's no substitute for direct experience, right? But I really had this little fear inside that I might throw up in front of co-workers ...

Coincidentally, Scott over at Needs More Garlic has posted a thoughtful piece on non-industrial chickens, which are raised in a way that probably wouldn't induce nausea. And if you want to read more on the topic, there's always the wonderland of articles over at Michael Pollan's web site. Hey, look, it's almost lunch time ...

1 comment:

Andrew said...

About the eyebrows, I'd go for healthy 'n natural over plucked 'n processed any day!
To Love, Honor and Dismay