Sunday, August 20, 2006

A day in photos ...

Morning: Farmers market:

saturday morning, durham, nc

Then stopped by Rick & Courtney's yard sale (buy their furniture if it hasn't sold already--it's cheap!):

have a seat

The Mr. Pants and I went on a photo safari to Mebane, NC, (pronounced "mebbin" in case you aren't from around here):

bill's barber shop

The we went to dinner at ... damn, I can't remember what it's called ... nouveaux Mexican joint on Shannon Road ... starts with a "T" ... somebody help me out here. Anyway, I didn't get photos because my camera battery was charging at home. I ordered the tacos de nopalitos con salsa de tuna (pickled cactus leaves with prickly-pear salsa). The food was good but it took forever for them to take our order, and then my entree arrived long after Mr. P's did. But I'll eat there again ... like I said the food was good. I saw another WXDU dj there, and he was upset because his endive salad contained no endive ... seemed like a perfect metaphor for life, to me: "Sometimes you have to make do with no endive."

Then we went to the Starlite to see Snakes on a Plane:



Rick and Courtney and Jamie were all supposedly there, but it was very dark, so I guess I missed them. We had a great time, nonetheless.

9 comments:

Crystal said...

I was going to ask about the pronunciation. We have a bunch of towns (and street names) that I pronounce differently that the locals. For example, "New Berlin" is pronounced Nuh-Burr-Lynn.

Crystal

seth said...

How was Snakes on a Plane? I was flirting with the idea of going, but my SO thinks it's silly and thus not worth going to, and I think it's silly and thus totally worth going to. :)

seth

georg said...

I was also at the Farmer's Market and Snakes on a Plane yesterday. But I didn't take any pictures

Lisa B. said...

Crystal, my favorite bad pronunciation place is Buena Vista, VA--the locals call it BEW-na Vista!

Seth, it is silly and totally worth going to ... preferably at the drive-in! If you approach it from the perspective that it's just a B movie that worked the right kind of hype, then it's great.

Georg, was everyone in town at the Starlite Saturday night?

elsacapuntas said...

we were there! i even think we may have been only a few cars away from you...but we'll never know, i guess.

scott said...

Tonali.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks, Scott. That's so not a mexican restaurant name. It's more of an Italian restaurant name. Actually it sounds like the latest popular baby name ... used for boys or girls ...

scott said...

yeah, i dunno what it means. the owner told me the first time I was there, but I forget.

actually, i had lunch there today - had the same cactus tacos you had - very tasty. they've started actually seasoning their food with salt and pepper, which is a big improvement over the fresh but bland stuff they were serving right after they opened. plus, the tomatillo salsa now has a little more bite to it. mmmmm.....

scott said...

and, since you are on the subject of odd pronunciations, I suggest we all refer to this joint from now on as Toe-nail-y.