Tuesday, November 21, 2006

All my memes are belong to you

I think I did this meme before. But what the hell, I'll do it again because what else am I going to write about? The Extremely Cute Puppy Who Ate All My Time? (Long story, but someone who was supposed to want to adopt her ended up not wanting to adopt her without even meeting her, but she's scheduled to go meet a potential new family over Thanksgiving) Anyway, Georg just did this meme, and as it involves music, I'm game:
  1. Open up the music player on your computer.
  2. Set it to play your entire music collection.
  3. Hit the "shuffle" command.
  4. Tell us the title of the next twelve songs that show up (with their musicians), no matter how embarrassing. That's right, no skipping that Carpenters tune that will totally destroy your hip credibility. It's time for total musical honesty.
  5. If you get the same artist twice, you may skip the second (or third, or etc.) occurances. You don't have to, but since randomness could mean you end up with a list of twelve songs by four artists, you can if you'd like.
"One Last Vow" :: Devotchka
"Raising Hell" :: Run-DMC
"Wraith Pinned To The Mist And Other Games" :: Of Montreal
"Try Matty's" :: Aretha Franklin
"Rich Hum Of Air" :: Shannon Wright
"Are Everything" :: The Buzzcocks
"Barnowl" :: Caribou
"Word Up!" :: Cameo
"Meu Amor" :: Brandi Shearer
"White Knuckles" :: Elvis Costello
"That's What Dreams Were Made For" :: Green On Red
"My Girl" :: Orlando Julius and His Modern Aces
"Look Both Ways" :: The Rain Parade

Except that was just thirteen there, wasn't it? I must have miscounted when I copied and pasted from iTunes. Oh well, I truly heart Rain Parade so they get to stay on the list. An interesting thing is that my iTunes is full of random songs by a miscellany of artists I may know nothing about. Do I have any idea who Shannon Wright is? Well, if I look her up on the google then yeah, I guess I do now. But I don't even ever remember listening to that song, or where I got it--probably someone's mp3 blog. Same thing with Brandi Shearer. But the funny thing about this list is that it doesn't really reflect on what I actually listen to via iTunes, because I told it not to include any recently played songs, only upcoming songs. So that was sort of cheating, I guess. But something's messed up with my iTunes ... if I tell it to play 100 recently played songs and 5 upcoming songs, it will only display 5 songs ... as if it doesn't want to display any recently played songs. So whatever. I'm bored now, and I'm sure you are too.

5 comments:

Paul McRae said...

I took this challenge even though I don't care at all about hip cred and freely admit there is a ton of music in my collection (Carpenters included) that isn't hip (whatever that may be today). However, why would The Carpenters destroy your hip cred anyway? Even Sonic Youth loves the Carpenters.

Gimme the Prize (Kurgan's Theme) - Queen
Letting You Know - Monster Movie
Sit Down, Stand Up (Live 2003-11-27 Earl's Court London) - Radiohead
Love These Goon Shows! [Speech] - The Beatles
Jeff Quits - Mothers of Invention
Dedication - Beastie Boys
Can't Be So Sad - Moby Grape
Suede - Tori Amos
The Love You Save - Jackson Five
One Double One Oh! [Instrumental Version] - Dick Dale and the Dale Tones
Little Bo Peep Has Lost Her Jeep - Spike Jones and his City Slickers
Mister Superstar - Marilyn Manson
Spirit in the Black - Slayer

Funilly it actually hit three of my most favorite bands (Beatles, Radiohead, and Queen) and oddly two audio excerpts (Beatles, Mothers).

Lisa B. said...

I think the Carpenters bit was a joke. I just copied and pasted it as is. I actuially like the Carpenters.

Hey, I have a song by Tony Orlando & Dawn (Knock Three Times) and one by Barry Manilow (Daybreak) on my iPod, so who the hell am I to talk about hip cred? I ain't got none!

Paul McRae said...

I'll call your Tony Orlando and Barry Manilow and raise you a Captain and Tennile.

Lisa B. said...

Maybe you win ;-)

Amanda said...

Real Love
Mary J. Blige

Lie in Our Graves
Dave Matthews Band

Ride Captain Ride
The Blues Image

Those Sweet Words
Norah Jones

Baby, Baby Don't Cry
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Thank The Lord For The Night Time
Neil Diamond

Baby I'm For Real
The Originals

Ask The Lonely
Journey

Share The Land
The Guess Who

Landlubber
Big Al Davies

It's All About the Benjamins
The Lox

River's Invitation
Aretha Franklin