Monday, January 01, 2007

2007 came in on little puppy feet ...


This is what happens when people think of you as a "dog person" ...

Last night the mister and I were getting gussied up to go out to a couple of New Years Eve parties when two little neighborhood boys showed up on our front porch with a puppy. They said they had found it running in Gregson Street and had rescued it from almost getting hit by a car. They brought it to us because they figured we would know what to do with it, seeing as how we were dog people and all. Damn, I thought to myself, it's New Years Eve and I just showered and I want to go drink egg nog and eat nibbly things. But there was no way we could turn down these boys' request for help--they live in some apartments down the street that don't allow dogs, and their parents are from a country where few but the rich bring dogs inside their homes. Their only alternative would have been to turn the puppy loose again.

The puppy was a little puff ball--the first thing I thought was "chow mix," although now that we've cleaned him up he looks a little bit more like a rough collie. There were waves of powerful stink coming off of him--I couldn't even get close enough to see if it really was a him and not a her--and he had poop-encrusted mats of fur all around his backside. He looked and smelled exactly as if had been confined to a crate for a long time and had been sleeping in his own waste. There was no way this cute little stinkball was coming into my house.

We decided to rig up some outdoor quarters for him--it was not a cold night and as long as we could keep the rain off of him we figured he'd be OK. We set up our x-pen and covered it with a tarp. We gave him a patio cushion to lie on, gave him some food and water and went out to party in the new year. He was fine until halfway through the night, when his crying woke us up--the wind was blowing rain on him, so we had to move the x-pen into our shed.

This morning we gave him the equivalent of four baths--two with antibacterial dog shampoo and two with a flea shampoo (he was covered with them), and I cut off all of the poop-mats from his hindquarters. I used a trick I've seen on TV and the movies, and put a glob of Vicks Vapo-Rub under my nose to maks the stench--it works!! But alas, even after all that bathing, the puppy still stinks somewhat. We brought him in the house and put him in Mr. Gomez' crate to dry, but the stink was just too powerful. Plus, we have discovered that he has absolutely no concept of bladder or bowel control (very common in puppies that live their entire early lives in cages, i.e. puppies purchased in pet stores) so he just poops as he goes, sort of like a horse. I have no idea what I would have done if we'd had normal winter weather right now, but since it's unseasonably warm, poor little poopy puppy has been staying in the shed (we've had him out running around in the back yard some, so he's not completely deprived of exercise and interaction). It may get down to 35F tonight, so he may need to come indoors. Tomorrow, first thing, he's going to go to the animal shelter because I don't know anyone up to the task of taking care of a pup with severe potty-training issues.

He's a really cute little guy, and very sweet. When I've had him out in the back yard he just wants to stay by my side and he'svery appreciative of attention. But he seems to have underdeveloped back legs--doesn't walk so much as bunny-hop, and he has a hard time going up steps. He also seems to have a problem with his tail--I don't know if it's broken or deformed, but it hangs limply and I don't think he can wag it. I'm wondering if he has some sort of nerve damage in his hind end, either as a result of injury or a congenital problem. Or it could just be that he's been confined to the point that his muscle development is poor and he's lost his proper elimination insticts. At any rate, I'd like to think that someone with loads of time (and possibly money) on his or her hands will step forward and figure out what's going on with this pup, but I think chances may be slim. Even though he looks to be only 10n weeks old and puppies often get adopted quickly, puppies with problems aren't in such high demand.

Happy New Year. I hope it's not all this depressing ...

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

sheesh he's cute.

ted said...

BOP you rang in the New Year in style. You are one classy lady and I'm hoping for that little darling pup (he don't stink in the photo!). Best to you and Gomey, rare breeds indeed!