Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A bit of a "pupdate" ...

In order to get Mr. Funky Puppy to his uncertain fate at the animal shelter, I had to take the morning off work. I had just sort of assumed that The Durham APS opened at a normal and reasonable hour like say, 9 am, and that I would be able to drop the poor little fluffball off and then still make it to work while the day was young. But a little fact-checking revealed that they actually open at the ridiculously late hour of 10:30 am. No wonder Durham has such a severe stray dog problem (seriously, there are always have feral dog packs roaming thew city killing people's cats and such)--only someone as crazy as I am would use up a precious half day of vacation time to take a found dog to the shelter. It's far easier just to let them roam. Maybe it's a tactic by the shelter to keep their euthanasia rates down--it's got to be far cheaper and easier to just let all the little puppies get hit by cars.

But the delay proved beneficial for Mr Funky Puppy: a flyball teammate who volunteers at (neighboring county) SPCA was able to make a call and get him accepted directly into their foster care program, stinky little problem and all. So instead of taking him to the Durham shelter, I met my friend at a gas station and passed the pup on my way to work. I had to ride the whole way with my windows down because his stench filled the vehicle, but at least he now has more of a chance than he would otherwise. I know that in a world where problem-free dogs are routinely euthanized because homes can't be found for them, a puppy with a weird potty-training problem is at a real disadvantage. But he has such a sweet and gentle disposition that he would be worth someone's effort.

2 comments:

elsacapuntas said...

Good luck, StinkyPup!

Sarah said...

Hooray for Mr. Stinky Pants! I hope they housetrain him and he finds a home soon. He's a cutie!