Friday, January 26, 2007

Catless

For the first time in 20 years, I'm living with no cats. This evening we said goodbye to Battlecat, who was somewhere around 16 years old (she had been Mr. Pants cat for several years before I met him). Her kidneys were starting to fail, and over the last few weeks her appetite seems to have been dropping. She was becoming skin and bones, and it's been harder and harder to interest her in even yummy wet cat food. There were things we could have done to keep her going a few more days--maybe even a week or two--but there's only so much you can do if a cat won't eat. (Plus, if you've ever given a cat subcutaneous fluids you'll know that it feels like you're torturing the animal to keep her alive. No fun for the cat or the humans.) We decided that euthanasia would be a more pleasant way for her to go than slow starvation punctuated by needle sticks. Sixteen years seems like a reasonably long cat life--she lived longer than any other cat we've owned.

Now it will be weird not to have to keep telling Mr. Gomez to leave the cat alone.

9 comments:

ted said...

I'm sorry about Battlecat.

Santos said...

aw, i'm sorry to hear it. my condolences. sixteen years for a cat sounds like a long time. our 15 year old dog died last month. still miss that yappy girl.

Elayne said...

So sorry about your cat. It's always hard to lose a pet, esp. when you've had one for so long. Our 13 year old cat turned to skin and bones due to a tumor and you're right, it was no fun for anybody trying to force feed him with a syringe.

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry. It sounds like you and Mr. Pants made the right decision for your kitty.

Seth said...

I too would like to express my sympathy.

burnt tortilla said...

Oh sweet mother kitty. So sorry to hear about the feline. My condolences!

: (

Burnt

Toastie said...

I'm so sorry to read this. My cats are 9 and 11, getting up there and still pretty healthy, knock on wood. I know the day will come that things take a turn for the worse, and I'll have to make those terrible decisions. My sympathies.
- guy who just found your blog via your Flickr page, which I found via a Durham skyline picture

dickumbrage & elsacapuntas said...

we are very sad about your kitty. if we ever find another neglected cat wandering our streets in ravenous abandon, we will kidnap her and donate her to you.

Lisa B. said...

Well, thanks, but I'm not really ready for a new cat right now. And Mr. Gomez is really an asshole ...