Friday, January 26, 2007

Condo-monium update ...

Yeah I've been busy and stuff, but since I've got nothing better to write about I'll post an update on the humongous condo project some developer types want to build in my neighborhood, aka "The Chancellory at Trinity Park." There was supposed to be a hearing on Tuesday in which the Board of adjustments was going to consider the developers' request for a "special use permit" so they could build a 7-story 48-unit building on a plot of land zoned for 3 stories and between 12 and 13 units. Lots and lots of people showed up at the hearing, and it seems the developers were very afraid their request would have been defeated (I think it probably would have), because they asked for a continuance. The new hearing will be Feb 27.

Meanwhile, an appeal has been filed challenging the developer's density calculations (in which they use a parcel of land they no longer own to claim they have a right to build higher and denser--I explain it in more depth here if you're actually interested). If this is successful, it seems extremely unlikely that the project will proceed as currently proposed. Instead it seems more likely that they could get for or five stories and maybe 24 or so units.

It also appears that opinion, in both the neighborhood and around City Hall, is really shifting against the project as proposed. And here I'm dealing with anecdotes, rumors and conjecture, but it's my blog and I'm allowed to do that. Based on things I hear (from little birds, of course--I put out a feeder and they come sing to me) it seems that the developers would have done well not to be so greedy and pursue something so massive that even fans of density were taken aback by its size in relation to the surrounding neighborhood. They've also made a few other mistakes that are now making them look a bit foolish to some of the birds. At any rate, we may end up getting something decent on that corner after all.

2 comments:

dickumbrage said...

FWIW, the people on my neighborhood's listserv still seem idiotically optimistic about the project...

Lisa B. said...

It does look a lot better the farther you get from it ...