Sunday, January 14, 2007

Crutches needed!

I should have followed my initial inclinations ... yesterday afternoon I was relaxing on the sofa, alternating between reading (Patricia McConnell's For The Love of a Dog) and doing sudoku puzzles, and I felt like staying there would be a lovely way to pass the rest of the day. But it was such an absolutely gorgeous day out that I felt like it woulf be criminal not to take advantage of it and go get some exercise. Never mind that I had already had an agility class with Lucy and taught a flyball class and was a little tired, I decided that I neede th take Lucy for a nice walk through the 'hood. (Mr. Gomez was out with Mr. Pants ... Mr. P says they went hiking but for all I know they were at Hooter's. Wait, do we even have a Hooter's in Durham? I don't think so ... yet another thing to love about Durham.)

So off we went on our usual route up and down the streets and alleys of Trinity Park--Lucy loves the alleys ... I think there are lots of critter smells from the various urban wildlife. I was briskly strolling along, admiring someone's spinach garden, basking in the springline air, when I stepped on a bit of uneven pavement that caused my foot to tip sideways. CRACK! went my ankle and I fell to the ground. I think the first word I said started with an F.

I managed to get up and hobble home (Lucy was very confused by my stange pace) and I started the RICE regimen. I guess I will be spending some time on the sofa (good thing I get tomorrow off work). But there are a few things I really need to get out and about for--one of which being the new music show tonight on WXDU--and for that I need crutches. ANy locals got some I can borrow? I suppose I could send Mr. Pants out to buy me some, but it would be great to borrow a set. Most the locals know how to reach me ... if you don't leave a comment (it won't get published thanks to comment moderation) eith your digits and I'll call you.

9 comments:

Elayne said...

Ouch! I hope you're feeling better. I seem to have the worst stupid injuries walking the dog as well. Is it a sprained ankle? If so an aircast works wonders at bringing down the swelling if you can get your hands on one.

If you can't find someone to loan you crutches you might want to check with your local hospital(s). I think the Boulder hospital has a loaner program where you can check out a pair for free (or a nominal fee) like at the library. Maybe someplace near you does the same. I have a lovely aluminum pair with doggie pawprint stickers on them for extra fashion appeal that I would gladly loan but seeing as how I'm in Boulder I'm not much help.

I just started that book as well, I love Patricia McConnell's writing.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks! I found a pair of crutches (my agility trainer is lending me some). I'll look for an Aircast ... never heard of it before.

Elayne said...

Here's a link: http://www.aircast.com/products/product.htm?pid=6&pgid=5C897292-C6B8-4E3E-8E9F-AAF2D867E1F7&rnd=222098519

I got mine through my orthopedist. A tightly wrapped ACE bandage should help in the meantime. The thinking with ankle sprains these days is to get you up and moving as quick as possible and the aircast helps bring the swelling down dramatically so you can start rehabbing. I also used it when I started running agility again for some extra support.

I went to a PT for my ankle sprain but mine was pretty bad. It helped a lot though.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks for the link--I may invest in one of those (I hope they're open tomorrow--I don't have to work but a lot of people do).

The ankle is not nearly as painful as it was yesterday, so that's a good thing. I'm going to see if my dog Lucy will do flyball for a friend because we have a tournament next weekend and I don't think I'll be able to do even the small amount of running required for that.

andrew said...

And remember folks, don't confuse the RICE Regimen with the Condelleezza Rice Regime. One will mend your ankle, the other will blast it off with a mortar and then rub vinegar and salt in the bleeding stump.

spacegrrl said...

egads, sprained ankles suck! i've developed an unfortunate history of ankle-turnings over the last couple of years. as a result, i now go for walks in my hiking boots, because they support my flimsy little ankles.

anyway, the RICE regimen is definitely the way to go, and i hope you have a speedy recovery.

Lisa B. said...

Yeah, the Condoleezza Rice regimen is a recipe for disaster, Andrew! (I thought Barbara Boxer's comment was funny considering that Condi is, y'know, a contraption they built down in the basement!)

Lisa, it's hard to believe that with all the dog walking and agility I do, this is the first sprained ankle I've had in 12 years. I was long overdue. It sucks big time to be hobbling around!

Anonymous said...

Buhmer.

I think canes are waaay cooler than crutches. my professional opinion:
Invest in a kicky-cool cane.


feel better soon.
: )
burnt

Lisa B. said...

Thanks for the tip! But if I had a cane it would make me feel like dancing ...