Friday, January 05, 2007

It's not you, it's me

So I was really excited to find the audio edition of John Hodgeman's "The Areas of My Expertise" for free on iTunes, particularly because, as a subscriber to the Time-Warner "Ghetto cable" plan I never get to see all the Comedy Central stuff the cool kids watch. So I figured listening to a free book would be a cheap way to keep up with what's hip, happening and now. It took forever to download, but download it fianlly did, and I eagerly donned my headphones ... only to tear them off about 10 minutes later to keep myself from clawing off my own ears. Annoying doesn't even begin to describe the experience ... I guess sometimes you actually get what you pay for.

12 comments:

Paul McRae said...

Can you give us a little bit of detail as to what exactly made it annoying?

Lisa B. said...

His voice, his inflection ... all the things that make him humorous in, say, a minute-long computer ad, become just unbearable when one is subjected to them for several minutes or more. I just strted thinking "God I wish that voice would SHUT UP!" Then I remembered that I had the power to make it stop ...

The book itself is probably good--I think reading it would be more fun than listening to him read it.

wordnerdy said...

It's good when read in small chunks, but it can be annoying in print, too.

Sarah said...

I turned it off after about 10 minutes too. I remember thinking, "What a gasbag. Is he going to be like that for the whole book?"

Lisa B. said...

Wow-so maybe it's not just me!

christa said...

oh i think his delivery is hilarious!

Santos said...

crap. it's now $18.95. i'll take your word for it and just buy the book.

Lisa B. said...

I could probably just burn it to a cd and send it to you if you want ... it's not worth $18.95, that's for sure.

Lisa B. said...

OK, make that "many cds," because there's almost 9 hours of audio here ...

Santos said...

it sounds like i might only need the first ten minutes or so :)

Lisa B. said...

Exactly! Let me know if you want to try it and I'll send a cd.

r4kk4 said...

just go for the hobo names section, chotda. it's really the only part that you need.

in fact, you can listen to it here for free.

i always laugh when he says "the rizzah".