Wednesday, March 21, 2007

All hail the Tire King!

When a tire seems unwilling to hold onto its full allotment of air, it's trying to tell you something. Granted, it's whispering softly, but if you don't listen soon enough, it may resort to yelling at you when you're pushing 65 on the Durham Freeway. At least that's what I discovered this morning on my way to work. Another thing I discovered is that when you exit at Briggs Ave., it appears you're out in the middle of nowhere, even though you know you're within spitting distance of the cutting edge of science and technology. Having a flat tire in the middle of nowhere at 7:45 am on a day when you have a dentist appointment can be what those in the mental health business call a "stress event."

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the crack phone! When faced with decisions (do I break out the spare doughnut and attempt to put it on? Do I remember how to change a tire? Do I call AAA?), I'm able to deflect them all by calling Mr. Pants. He has a nifty little portable air compressor and decided that we should first attempt to fill the tire. However, it refused our offering of air. Well, it took some of it but wouldn't budge above 34 psi. When Mr. P turned off the compressor, the tire just sat and spewed our lovely gift of air right back at us. So Mr. P commenced installing the spare doughnut, with a bit of help from me: I was able to recall from my forays into tire-changing that one should always loosen the lug nuts before the car is balanced precariously atop the jack.

Doughnut in place, I turned around and headed downtown to my pals at the Tire King (500 Rigsbee Ave.). About six months ago when a bad tire kept me from passing inspection, I bought a couple of new ones at Tire King. They were so wonderful I decided to go back next time I needed tires. And that time had come--the flat had been trying to tell me "I'm old and worn out, please put me out of my misery." The guy even remembered me. I bought another pair, so I'm good to go for a while on all four--with free tire repair and rotation ... maybe if I remember to get them rotated I won't always be needing tires at inconvenient times and places. But where's the adventure in that?

At any rate, I made it to work and then to my dental appointment, where they put on a temporary onlay to fix a cracked molar (the permanent one goes on in a couple of weeks.) The temp fell off after a couple of hours. I pressed it back into place and called the dentist. They told me to come back in tomorrow to get it cemented in better. Later this evening, I accidentally ate it. Well, not all of it ... I was able to pull pieces of it out of my mouth after I realized it wasn't a potato chip that I was biting into.

I hope tomorrow is really boring.

3 comments:

elsacapuntas said...

Mmmmm, donuts.

andrew said...

I took a look at the Research Triangle website you linked to and one of the factoids in their Flash intro that they are so proud of is that "50% of RTP employees work for a multi-national corporation!" Way to advertise how destructive your economy is!

Lisa B. said...

Not just a multi-national, but probably one that produces Frankencrops ...