Sunday, April 22, 2007

And a good time was had by all

meat

The whole vegetarian thing hasn't been working too well for me lately. One reason is that in many vegetarian dishes, there are just too damn many vegetables.

There were very few vegetables last night at Casa Needs More Garlic, although they were delish: some (local) asparagus (don't ask me how it was cooked, because all I can say is "by Scott") and some delicately dressed (local) greens (oil AND vinegar!).

Anyway, the star of the evening repast, aside from Mr. NMG himself, was a huge tray of meat--sausage, chicken and slabs of pork and pork ribs--all from local farms where the animals get to wander around eating things that would not alarm Michael Pollan and are presumably as happy as it is possible for a free-range farm animal to be (until the whole gettng killed part, of course). It was all so good that I most definitely won't be eating mass-market meat anytime soon ... it just can't compare. I'll continue my normal diet of bananas, organic bean burritos, peanut butter and jelly sammiches (hold the salmonella) and ice cream.

Mr. Pants and I were on out best behavior in hopes that we may be invited back again.

5 comments:

elsacapuntas said...

GOD, i hate the school of 'vegetarian' dish that consists of half a dozen randomly chosen vegetables sauteed together with random herbs and then put atop some sort of starchy thing. This is what non-vegetarians imagine that vegetarian people eat all the time, because they have no imagination and cannot fathom a meal without animal flesh.

When I start to think vegetarian food is inferior to omnivorous food, I remind myself of Indian food, and how it is the most wonderful food in the world, and is often completely meat-free. Take a trip to Udupi, and you shall renew your love with vegetarianism.

Or, buy some philly steak style tofurky and have a veg philly steak - it helps get through those greasy meat cravings.

Lisa B. said...

ooooh, Indian food! I need to learn how to cook some, because I can't afford to eat out (I spend all my money on agility trial fees). Also, I forgot that middle-eastern foods can be jummy vegetarian delights.

I guess I was thinking about how various restauraunts offer shit like tacos filled with squash or some other completely unappetizingly slimy vegetable and I'm supposed to fucking eat that.

As for the tofurkey ... I'm losing all desire for a lot of the fake meat products. I don't know why, but It's just not very appetizing to me anymore. And the very smell of Boca burgers makes me queasy.

I think the whole vegetarianism thing would be better if I actually enjoyed cooking. But most of the time I don't.

andrew said...

We are into our fourth month of vegetarianism (edging into veganism except for yoghurt) and we rely a lot on Indian cooking. The beauty is the use of pulses combined with vegetables means nutrion and flavor, plus as we are combingin this lifestyle change with a massive drop in our carbs and fat, thinkgs like Dal are ideal - you can eat them with half a pita and feel very full.

We really prefer things made from vegetables to fake meat and soy bean products - it all seems a bit phoney and with the exception of tempeh (which Heidi doesn't like anyway) it never really really adopts flavor in the way you mugth hope. We prefer portabello mushrooms to bulk out a meal.

Phil said...

Cool event.

I, too, am in a current drift toward careful eating -- more vegetables, no meat unless someone gives it to me, trying to suss out the whys and wherefores of environmental care and humane living.

For careful meat eaters, I wonder if someone should do a web resource identifying which local restaurants have rules for how they source their meat and other ingredients.

Lisa B. said...

Yes, someone should. Someone less lazy than I.