Thursday, April 19, 2007

And the radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools

It had been a while since I had done my radio show--Chris had done the last two for me, so I had forgotten how much fun i have with Santa Salsera. She often sticks around after her show (Azucar y Candela, 6-8 pm Wednesdays, the best Latin Show in the Triangle) and hangs out in the MCR with me for a while (OK, I bribe her by bringing refreshments) I pot up mic 2 for her and we get a bit of a chat groove going on during talk sets. I'm not really sure if the listeners enjoy it or not, but I usually have a good time. Salsera sometimes suggests great music and even goes out into the stacks to find it for me so I can work it right into my set. Here's my our playlist from last night. Other highlights of the evening:
  • We talked on the air about the sheer adorability of Wordnerdy's lovely cat, James Bond (Salsera had never seen him so I pulled the Flickr set up on the MCR computer);

  • We mentioned the WXDU victory over WXYC (4-3) in kickball last Saturday, and a former WXYC dj called to let me know she actually has a slight preference for WXDU over that other college radio station. She said we weren't as "hipster" and therefore rocked more. Hi-yah!

  • La Salsera said that hearing me say things in German was like listening to a talking dog. I didn't know whether I should be insulted or flattered. She wasn't sure either.

  • At the end of my show I had an urge to pay tribute to Blacksburg and my first radio station, Virginia Tech's WUVT, so I decided to play some Not Shakespeare. They were sort of the resident Blacksburg band with big ambitions ... they opened for some bigger acts when they came to town (REM, Modern English and I think Let's Active, among others), had a song or two in rotation at WUVT and a cassette for sale at local record stores. From what I remember, their early sound seemed like an attempt to bridge the gap between Flock of Seagulls and REM, and their front guy--George, I've forgotten his last name--had a vaguely Flock of Seagulls hairdo (which I believe may have been the inspration for a song called "Blacksburg Hairs" by B-burg thrash band Megadosage). Anyway, sometime around when I left Blacksburg in 1986, Not Shakespeare recorded a 4-song EP at Mitch Easter's Drive-In Studio that made its way into the vinyl stacks at WXDU, where it remains today (along with a 12-inch single with a 1989 date). I played the song "Susan" from the ep. Dang, I wish I still had my copy of the Not Shakespeare cassette, if only for its nostalgia value, but alas it's a casualty of one of my 8 moves since 1986.

15 comments:

wordnerdy said...

you talked about my cat on the air?!? AWESOME. i can't believe i missed it!

Anonymous said...

George Wade

Lisa B. said...

Yes! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Any Not Shakespere MP3s around?

Check this out:
http://www.30underdc.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-18.html

Rik from Not Shakespere is the last post giving an update!

Lisa B. said...

I know of no Not mp3s. But I still remember that song "The Avenue." (or something like that) We gave it a bit of airplay on WUVT.

George said...

Hey, Lisa,

Thanks for playing our tunes and remembering us! No MP3's at the moment - a friend of ours, Eddie Watson contacted us about posting a year or so ago, but I think he got sidetracked.

Not Shakespeare now has a group on Facebook. Jeff, Adam, Don and I post periodically, along with several friends. Some old posters and pics available there.

I don't have a copy of the "Not For Sale" cassette either... Adam may still have one.

One of these days I'll try to get off my lazy butt and convert some of the tracks I do have. In the mean time, feel free to join us in our exercise in nostalgia on Facebook.

George

Anonymous said...

George. Get off your ass and make the MP3s. And talk to Howard and see if you can't convert some of the live tapes he collected. I think of you guys often and wish it would have lasted forever.
Fred
The Physical Barometer

bhanson said...

I have a copy of an EP on vinyl somewhere for sure. George and I worked at Backstreets at the same time, and I had a WUVT radio show, mostly on the AM band which means nobody outside of campus could hear it...... and nobody on campus listened. But it was a great use of the hours between 3 and 6am Wednesdays anyway.
Ben

Anonymous said...

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7123/nsb002xyz8.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8404/nsb003bxke5.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5504/nsb004xlz3.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7343/ns2kf0.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5189/tsns02iw2.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6413/465707641lfe0.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5237/ns010gb1.jpg

there were more, but it seems imageshack ate them.

Jeff Shelton said...

I love this band!! George mentioned a Facebook group, but I cannot find it. What's the tag??

Jeff Shelton said...

I love this band!! George mentioned a Facebook group, but I cannot find it. What's the tag??

Lisa B. said...

try this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/39818422997/

Anonymous said...

Hyello! It's Jonny Mayo of Megadosage!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqFD4tqnQ2M

Lisa B. said...

Whoa! Thank you very much for the link! Somewhere in a box I have Super 8 film of you taking a bonghit. I'm sure it was a perfectly legal substance like salvia ...

Anonymous said...

I am currently digitizing about 30 shows. They will be available on Soundcloud.com under RicGratz........eventually.