Monday, April 30, 2007

Que viva el jardin de las mariposas!

I had a flower garden I wasn't so fond of ... actually I use the term "flower garden" very loosely. Except for some daffodils, a tiny patch of dianthus and a little slightly shrubby plant whose name escapes me, nothing really wanted to grow there but weeds. I wanted to mulch the whole thing over and build a pergola there, except for the part about actually building the pergola. That just seemed like too much work, but I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do it. So I just bitched a lot about how much I hated that stupid weed garden and needed to figure out something to do with it.

Mr. Pants decided to help me out yesterday by making a unilateral decision to run over the whole bed with the lawn mower. I guess that's a start. At first I was sort of shocked, but really the only problem now is that the daffodil bulbs may be toast, because they need to re-absorb the nutrients in their leaves in order to bloom again next year. But feh, who needs daffodils? They're pretty for about a week and then they become yet another weedy-looking nuisance. (Digression: What I'm calling daffodils may actually be jonquils. But now that they've probably snuffed it, does it matter?)

Anyway, Mr. Pants says he wants a butterfly garden, presumably so he can take pictures of the little critters. I didn't ask, though ... for all I know he wants to catch them and pull their wings off. But he claims he is willing to do some digging to achieve said butterfly garden, which means that I want a butterfly garden, as well. Hitherto, Mr. Pants has not shown very little inclination toward any type of yard work so if he's willing to dig I'm going to do everything I can to encourage it. Also, it means I get to go buy plants at the Raleigh Farmers Market, which is the funnest part of any garden endeavor.

So I figure it will be a few years before we have to mow the weed patch over again because as Michael Pollan once pointed out, nature abhors a garden. I wonder how she likes pergolas?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms Lisa

Consider yourself lucky. I would take any kind of garden if my Mr. would take to diggin' We have about an acre of digging to do and I could sure use some help and some tools.

And I'd be very happy if the ticks would decide to go elsewhere.

Linda

PS: I think I am being a bit hard on the mister. Changed my mind. He's quite the guy. Just forgets to dig sometimes.

Steve said...

Hey Lisa,
I had a section of my garden at my old place for which I had no idea what I wanted to plant. So I went to the garden store and they had packages of seeds with mulch mixed in for "instant" butterfly gardens. So I just roughed up the surface a little, spread the mulch/seed and watered it. It turned out to be a really nice patch of flowers and the butterflies and bees really liked it. It took all of an hour to do and it relieved me of the whole planning process too...

Have fun,
Steve

Lisa B. said...

I thought about doing that because it is much easier, but I decided against it for two reasons:

1). If I choose and plant particular plants, I will be able to tell the difference between them and the weeds. when I plant seeds I have no idea what's weed and what's wanted;

2) It's a little late in the season here to be sowing seeds--it's already too hot for the little sprouts to survive. They need cooler days at first, and we're already almost hitting 90 here.

georg said...

Also in favor of buying plants: most of the sellers at the Raleigh Farmer's Market have nice, helpful tags on their plants that tell you if they're popular with butterflies.

Lisa B. said...

Or, you can just ask the guy! The sellers at the farmers market are (mostly) really helpful.

georg said...

Very true! There are several that we buy from all the time and they're always very friendly and helpful and willing to share info on stuff we're buying or even just looking at.