Friday, August 31, 2007

Sweet summer sounds are soothing my soul

Tonight I was helping set up for an agility trial and one of the judges, who is from Oregon, asked what was buzzing up in the trees. Apparently they don't have cicadas in Oregon. I'm glad I don't live there, because the buzz of summer is one of my favorite sounds.

Mr. Pants likes to call them quesadillas, as in "The quesadillas are really loud this evening. And indeed, they are. Maybe they're thinking "It's Labor Day weekend, hurry up and mate with me so I can lay my eggs and die." Unless it's the males who do the buzzing ...

Anyway, if you want to see some agility this weekend, it will be here. All three days, all day ... from 8 am until at least 3 or 4 pm. Or maybe even 5. Hopefully not 6, though, that would be a little too much.

6 comments:

r4kk4 said...

they don't have cicadas in washington state either. i miss them so much that i have an mp3 of them on my player that i put on a loop.

other things that are missable here: crickets and thunderstorms. *sigh*

Lisa B. said...

You don't have thunderstorms? I thought everyone had thunderstorms.

Although I wouldn't miss the crickets getting into the house all the time ...

r4kk4 said...

nope, no thunderstorms. well, ok, technically, there are these things that locals call thunderstorms but are in reality only one or two flashes of lightning followed by a thunderclap. and that's it.

it only happens maybe once a year. it's depressing. :( (i have a thunderstorm recording on my mp3 player too. haha!)

Lisa B. said...

Well, you do have cupcake shops ...

christa said...

it's true! the evenings are so quiet without the cicadas, tree frogs... and buzzing mosquitoes.

pants, there are NO MOSQUITOES HERE.

Lisa B. said...

It's been so dry that we don't have many around here right now.