Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Mindblowingly cool:

Man Builds Secret Apartment At Mall, Gets Away With It For Four Years. There's also a very detailed article in The Providence Journal.

One of my favorite books as a child was From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, in which two kids run away from home and live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I wanted to do the same, but I was living in Texas at the time and had no idea how to go about getting myself to New York. And then of course there are The Boxcar Children, who made me want to live in a boxcar. And there was another book for very young children about a group or family who go live in a cave, but I can't remember what it was called.

At any rate, I still want to live somewhere bizarre and cool, but I've settled for a bungalow.

5 comments:

jrhyley said...

You and I read all the same books as kids, apparently. I had the same reaction to that mall story, then I started thinking about secret places I know that might make good improvised condos.

The last book you mentioned, was it about three children who moved into a cave so the foster care service wouldn't separate them, who survived by selling herbs and flowers they gathered from the countryside? Yeah, I can't remember the name of that book either. And it's going to bug me now. Dammit, where's the wisdom of crowds when you need it?

Lisa B. said...

That could have been the story line ... I was very, very young when I read it. Did it have lots of pictures? I remember the pictures more than the story. I think my copy may be in the possession of my niece, or maybe still at my mom's house. I should ask them ...

Yeah, we need someone to step forward and shout out the name of the book.

Steve said...

mixed up files rocks! They even played the movie for us in grade school on one of those old school movie projectors..click.click.click.
flapflapflapflap

Sarah said...

I loved From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler too! After reading it I used to imagine secretly living in the mall. I would sleep in a different bed in the department store every night. I was crushed when I sat on a department store bed once and discovered it wasn't a real bed at all, just a hard surface with bed linens draped over it.

ted said...

Bizarre and cool used to descrbe a little old college town in Madison WI with only one place to go that had a filthy sleazy gay bar in the basement and a live music club and a restaurant and a trendy disco and a swishy cocktail lounge and ..WHAT? There were other places? You're kidding ... R.I.P. Madison WI