Thursday, November 01, 2007

Don't know what I want but I know how to get it

I hate it when people whose blogs I read suddenly neglect their blogs. I feel sort of abandoned, like "Hey, aren't you going to entertain me? Dammit!"

Yeah, so it's been a week since I last posted here. I've got a puppy, OK? She needs a lot of attention and then my other dogs (I almost wrote "my real dogs," because really puppies are just proto dogs ... they're like little dog-like bloblets waiting to be turned into proper dogs with patience and training) also need lots of attention to assure them that the new addition in no way displaces them from their positions of importance. Whew! Anyway, I have a brief respite while Pinky Laverne spends a couple of days at her Aunt Maria's house (Mr. Pants is out o' town this week, and one of his co-workers has agreed to host the pup during a couple of my busy days. I'll pick her up tonight after agility class.)

Anyway, I want to know, should I ask for one of these for my birthday or Xmas? Seriously, it's very similar to the machine that they use in the mini-doughnut booth at the State Fair. I could crank out mini doughnuts in my copious spare time! I could have mini-doughnut parties. Everyone would want to be my friend! Just add dough! (Thanks to BoingBoing for pointing me toward this marvel of modern technology, even though they call the lovely, lovely machine "disgusting." They are obviously completely ignorant of the winsome wiles of the magical mini-doughnut.)

In other news ... I don't think there is any other news. Oh, yeah, Cafe Tacuba has a new album out, which, as usual, sounds way different than any of their previous releases. The NYT seemed to love it, in fact lots of critics seem to be loving it. Except for Gustavo Arrellano, who's all like "Meh, I liked Re a lot better. I'll need a few listens to be sure, but I think I may agree with him, at least a little. I mean, there's no mistaking that the new album, SiNo, is pretty near rock virtuosity, but maybe I don't want rock virtuosity. Maybe I really want something that sounds like a ranchera on crystal or a ska-tinged cover of a Leo Dan hit.

5 comments:

all hail mini-donuts! said...

my favorite part of that boing boing rant was when he started frothing about soldiers dying in the middle east for his fryer oil. no doubt from kuwait's vast stores of subterranean canola oil.
hats back on gentlemen...

Lisa B. said...

Yeah, I don't understand why all the hatin' on the mini-doughnuts. They really do make life worth living.

Eww, but they'd be really yucky fried in petroleum, n'est ce pas?

Sarah said...

Mini donuts, any time you want! Perhaps there is a God after all.

mamacita chilena said...

you got a puppy! I'm so jealous!!! please call my hubby here in Chile and tell him that i need a puppy too, he doesn't believe me :(

and btw, you have me jonesing for some Cafe Tacuba now, I'm going to download a few songs for the old iPod :)

Lisa B. said...

Honestly, puppies are so much work--I'm not recommending it at all ;-) But they are darn cute!

When I jones for Cafe Tacuba, it's actually their previous stuff--I've yet to jones for the latest album. Maybe after a few more listens, I dunno ...