Saturday, January 12, 2008

The fat one balances the two skinny ones

Thanks to this post on BoingBoing, I now have a strategy for selling our house quickly once it goes on the market:
Female study participants in a room with a hidden chocolate-chip cookie scented candle were much more likely to make an unplanned purchase of a new sweater -- even when told they were on a tight budget -- than those randomly assigned to a room with a hidden unscented candle (67 percent vs. 17 percent).
So I need to put a few framed photos of chocolate chip cookies around the place and burn a cookie-scented candle before people come to see the house. Brilliant!

3 comments:

Steve said...

Hi Lisa,
I think the cookie thing helped when I sold my house. Although I wasn't smart enough to get a cookie scented candle. I would just through a pan of those tube chocolate chip cookies in the oven before an open house or, schedule permitting, before an realtor visit.

My realtor said they were a big hit with families who brought their kids on the visit.

The "downside" is you have to eat any leftovers :^)
Steve

Lisa B. said...

Or I could take the leftovers to work ... people in my office will eat them. I think I'll do both--burn the candle and, when the schedule permits, make cookies.

christa said...

i've heard of people putting "spice boils" on the stove, too. some water, cinnamon sticks, cloves, etc. etc.... let'er boil away, and you got yourself a lovely potpourri-smellin' house.