Friday, January 11, 2008

Most of all he needs the funk

Several years ago (I'm thinking 2003 or so), we switched every possible light bulb in the house from incandescent to to CFL. I should note that this was before it was cool an hip to do so. We're trendsetters that way. Anyway, the first one burned out (with a mighty POP) yesterday. I already knew that CFLs contain a tiny amount of mercury and that one is not supposed to toss them into household garbage. But I didn't know exactly what one is supposed to do with a spent CFL. Turns out that in Durham County, one must take the bulb to the Hazardous Waste Facility at 1900 E. Club Blvd. So, in order to properly dispose of this wonderful energy-saving device, I need to get in my car and drive a round-trip of 6.8 miles. If I were wanting to be a little more environmentally friendly about it and had plenty of time to burn, could my spent CFL and I perhaps take the bus together? Nope, bus don't go there, sorry. I could ride my bike. Yeah, it could happen ...

8 comments:

r4kk4 said...

i can't remember if you have an ikea in your area or not but they'll take the bulbs and recycle them for free.

Lisa B. said...

No, we are in an IKEA-free zone. The closest one is about 4 hours away in Woodbridge, VA. It would be a good excuse for a road trip, though ... ;-)

Barry Ragin said...

you could put it in a sealed plastic bag and save it till you have enough stuf to make a trip to hazardous waste site worthwhile.

i do that with used batteries and such and make one trip in the spring and one in the fall. i'm also a little bit closer to the dump than you are, i think.

Lisa B. said...

That's what I would do if I weren't going to be moving in the next two months ... the problem is that I don't really want to have to pack and move a baggie full of mercury-laden items from one house to another. But I think I may have some old solvents, paints and cleaners that need to be cleared out before we move, so I will probably have enough to justify a trip out there.

Valerie said...

I just save up all the hazardous waste and go once a year. Well, the batteries have been sitting around for longer than that, so a trip is due.

I heard there's going to be an IKEA in Charlotte soon...

Sarah said...

if you don't end up needing to go out there before you move, we have been making frequent trips to the dump & we could take the lightbulb for you.

Lisa B. said...

I'm going to have to go to the dump ayt some point as well--I have some really crummy and/or busted furniture that no one else will want, and I certainly don't want to move it. I was going to ask to borrow your truck to take it ;-)

Sarah said...

sure, anytime!