Monday, March 31, 2008

A lady doesn't wander all over the room and blow on some other guy's dice

I'm very forcefully making myself think/write about something other than what I'm now calling "my situation." So, let the frivolity begin. Yay.

I'm probably the least fashion-conscious person I know. Seriously, my idea of a really sharp outfit is something that has only one hole in it. Nonetheless, a co-worker once told me how awesome Lucky Jeans are. So when I saw a pair of Luckys in my size at Goodwill on Saturday, I grabbed them with alacrity. They fit me perfectly. Retail price: somewhere around $100ish. My price: $3.49.

Anyway, I may not know what looks good, but I do know heinous when I see it, which is why I love Go Fug Yourself and I'm really getting into the Fug Madness 2008. I just voted for Sharon Stone over Courtney Peldon in Round 4, not because I could decide which one has a worse fashion record, but because until I started reading Go Fug Yourself I had no idea who Courtney Peldon was (I still don't have any idea what she is famous for, other than wearing bad clothes.)

Anyway, tomorrow in the "Charo Bracket" is going be a face-off between the two worst fashion disasters EVAR (IMO), and I don't know who to vote for: Chloe Sevigny or Bai Ling. Of course, by the logic I used in the Peldon-Stone match I should vote for Chloe, because prior to perusing GFY I had never heard of Bai Ling. (Should I have? Am I just not paying attention?) But wow! Bai Ling really does wear some jaw-droppingly abominable crap! Still, it's very obvious she's doing it on purpose because, well, what else is she famous for? It's like she's thinking to herself: "Batshit crazy, yes, but you're all looking at me, right? And I'm hot, am I not?" Meanwhile, Chloe Sevigny is supposedly a Serious Actress and she sells herself as one of the Fashionista types by going to all the NY Fashion Week things, even launching her own clothing line. And yet she consistently looks like she's styled by Mr. Magoo. So I'm thinking maybe she needs very badly to win this thing. Am I wrong?

6 comments:

georg said...

I love GFY. It's top quality fashion schadenfreude! I also have little idea what many GFY "regulars" actually do for a living when they're not being photographed in hideous outfits. I'd agree that Chloe Sevigny (I've never been 100% sure what her relationship to IoC was -- I don't think she was a designer -- but I think they've gone their separate ways at this point) should advance to the next round. Her failed attempts at being fashion forward easily trump Bai Ling's schizzy attention grabs.

Lisa B. said...

Yes, I think the fact that Chloe Sevigny is really trying is the key. And she didn't design a line? Shows how much I really pay attention. OK, whatever ;-)

georg said...

According to wiki, Sevigny was creative director of IoC. Whatever that means. One article called her their "patron saint" which suggests she was either a backer or muse. Everything I've seen credits Tara Subkoff and Matt Damhave as the original designers. They sold the label in 2007 but I think Sevigny had moved on before then. More than anyone ever needed to know about this, I'm sure...

Sarah said...

I thought Chloe Sevigny's "creative direction" was along the lines of Kimora Lee Simmons' involvement in designing Baby Phat: someone showed her the clothes before they went into production.

Lisa B. said...

I think you're right.

And until i started reading GFY I had no idea who Kimora Lee Simmons was. Now I know she's some celeb who occasionally fugs herself.

I'm bummed that Bai Ling won the round. She's probably thrilled.

Sarah said...

Kimora Lee Simmons was a judge on the first season of America's Next Top Model. I think they might have let the two finalists walk in her actual fashion week show that season, instead of staging a fake runway show as they have done from then on.