Monday, March 24, 2008

Someone left the cake out in the rain

MegRNC tagged me with a meme last week, and I'm so behind in my blog reading I just discovered it today. But it's a good thing, because I needed a meme to make me stop obsessing about houses.

Anyway, the rules:
  • Post 10 random things about yourself.

  • Choose five people to tag and a reason you chose them and make sure to tell them.

  • Don’t tag the person who tagged you.

I don't think I've ever done this one before, so here are my answers (the rules don't say they have to be interesting random things):
  1. I cheated at Pin The Tail on the Donkey in kindergarten. I could see right through the blindfold. I won a little plastic jack o'lantern.

  2. I worked at a telephone survey lab for a while in grad school at UW-Madison. We had to call people up and ask them questions about things like their health, how much Great Lakes fish they ate, what drugs they took, whether they got sick during the 1993 cryptosporidium outbreak in Milwaukee County, yada yada yada. I was so good at getting people to do the surveys that I became a "refusal converter," which is what we called the interviewers who called back people who had already said no to convince them to participate (the validity of our data depended on a high response rate).

  3. A "safe sex" store opened across from where I once worked, so I dropped in during lunch one day. There was a reporter and a camera crew there, and I consented to doing an interview. I had no idea it would end up being broadcast on CNN. Several people I knew in other states called me up to say they saw me on TV talking about safe sex.

  4. I can't stand sun-dried tomatoes.

  5. When I was little I carried a blanket around with me everywhere. I called it "bankie". My mother said she couldn't get me to give it up for anything, so every time she managed to get it from me long enough to wash it, she'd cut a strip off of it. It kept getting smaller and smaller, until finally I was just carrying around a swatch of blanket. Eventually I guess it just lost its charm.

  6. I think I want to be either a volcanoligist or a dolphin trainer when I grow up. Those were never any of the choices offered when we took those "career lab" quizzes in high school.

  7. I'm not very good at making lists. I get a few items written down and then I can't remember anything else that should go on the list. Then I get distracted by something else and forget to finish the list. Then I lose the piece of paper I wrote the list on.

  8. I love sauerkraut.

  9. In ninth grade we went on a field trip to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, where the food carousel in the cafeteria included little bottles of wine. Some friends and I stole a bunch of wine and went into the bathroom and got drunk. This was years ago ... I think they've long since stopped selling wine there.

  10. Every time someone I know gets a new dog I try to get them to name it "The Shizzle." So far no one has complied.


Now I'm supposed to tag five people, but I don't feel like singling anyone out. Most of the people I know would be like "Aw, man, I don't feel like doing your meme." So hey, five of you, do this meme! But not you, Meg, because no tagbacks allowed. There.

No comments: