Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Your turn to buy and my turn to drink

So my agility weekend was way fun. I talk about it ad nauseum over at my other blog. There's video, too, so you can see how dorky I look when I run. My dog is really cute, though.

Now I have to find a house to buy, because we close on our house June 30. I'm not really excited about anything that's currently available. There is a really cute little place on almost 3 acres, but it's way the heck out on Stallings Road. There's a little teensy place on Northgate St (724 square feet) that's also nice and cheap, but the lot is small and full of "landscaping" that I'd have to rip out to make room for dog agility. There's also a cute little old house with ugly floors (carpet and vinyl ... I could change that) on over an acre in Bethesda. I rather liked it but my agent hated it and pointed out as many flaws as she could think of while we were looking at it.There's a nifty older ranch home with a big, flat yard off 54 near Southpointy, but it's heated by fuel oil. It's a strange little location--if you look at a map that shows city/county boundaries, this one little gravel street is county while everything around it is city. The homes are all on well/septic systems and there's no natural gas line on the street, while all around it is tract housing galore. PSNC says it would probably run me $3,500 to covert to gas heat (including furnace) and another few grand to include stove and water heater.

The good news is that she doesn't seem as anti-Parkwood as before, but all the listings available there right now (excluding "handyman specials," which I do not want) are over $150,000.

So my front-runner house right now is one in Homestead Heights. The location isn't perfect for me, but the house is a reasonable size, it has a carport, the yard is large, flat and fenced and I don't have to do any work or buy and appliances to make it livable. I'm wondering if I should just give up on finding anything better and make an offer on it.

2 comments:

andrew said...

I take it "handyman special" means the same as it does in Nova Scotia: "Bulldoze the house, plow the garden with salt and start again"?

Also "needs TLC" means dynamite it, bury the remains and move to another house.

Lisa B. said...

Yep, that sums it up. And I think "Location, location, location" often means "The house is crappy but the neighborhood is hot."