Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'd like to turn this water into wine

My cute little house now has a dishwasher. There was a spot in the kitchen where there was a countertop with no cabinets underneath. Just open space. It practically screamed "put a dishwasher here!" That plus the fact that every list of water-saving tips says something about dishwashers being much more water-efficient than hand-washing ... oh and plus the fact that I hate washing dishes and the way the dish rack takes up counter space, convinced me to take the plunge. Makes me want to cook an elaborate meal as an excuse to have dishes to wash ...

I also had a water-saving toilet installed today. The one that came with the house was circa 1957 (the year the house was built), and it required about 6 gallons per flush. My new one only uses 1.6 gallons. It's really cute, too, insofar as a toilet can be cute.

And last week I installed a Whedon Deluxe Ultra Saver shower head with a push button control that reduces water flow to a trickle for soaping up and leg-shaving. It gives good shower for such an efficient little thing.

I did all this just so I won't feel guilty putting a bit of water in the birdbaths now and then (not that they need it after all the rain we got this week).

2 comments:

Lenore said...

Dish washers are great! I don't think you should ever feel guilty about giving water to the birds, though. :)

Valerie said...

I'm happy to hear that dishwashers save water vs. handwashing! Thank you. Oh, and congrats.