Saturday, September 13, 2008

Do they make a Roomba for lawns?

I'm afraid I'm going to be that neighbor who lets her grass get annoyingly long before she cuts it. I'm a little embarrassed that twice since I moved in my neighbor has cut the grass in the ditch at the left front of my house. I thanked him for it, and he said he did it because he realized it was probably hard for a smallish woman like me to maneuver the lawnmower through the ditch (he is absolutely correct). I still feel a little bad about it though, and I've resolved to always mow it before he feels he has to.

I think that means today. I got up this morning and realized that whatever plans I have for the weekend will need to be interrupted long enough for me to cut all this damn grass. (Confession: I stay up-to-date on my back yard lawn-mowing because I use that space almost daily for dog-training. It's the part the neighbors actually see that gets neglected.) I had read somewhere that when times are dry it's best to raise your lawn mower blades and not cut the grass too short. So that's what I've been doing, and it seems that my grass has been growing like ... er, weeds. Then I realized that we've really had a shitload of rain recently, and the grass is growing so well because it's happily sucking up as much water as it wants. Indeed, "they" say we are officially not in a drought at the moment. So the blades are coming down a notch or two.

The mowing brings to mind another dilemma I have regarding neighbors and neighborliness. I'm on a corner, and one strip of my property that borders the street to the west of me is sort of a "no man's land" in that it's outside of my fence and goes completely unused by me. It's exactly the kind of spot where people like to let their dogs poop without picking it up because they think the huge pile of Golden Retriever shit will inconvenience no one. But I still have to mow the grass there, which grows quite thick and lush and, yes, large mounds of Golden Retriever shit are quite an inconvenience to me. So now I'm wondering: should I put up one of those "Please pick up after your dog" signs in my side yard? Would it do any good at all--I mean, would someone who's obviously inconsiderate to begin with suddenly develop a neighborly conscience because of a sign? I really don't know because I always pick up after my dogs without being asked by a sign. It's just the right thing to do. Dammit.

10 comments:

Ross Grady said...

Yes: http://www.automower.us/
http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/
http://www.lawnbott.com/

The Roomba people don't have a lawn-mower yet, but they *do* clean gutters: http://www.irobot.com/sp.cfm?pageid=354

Lisa B. said...

Cool! But pricey ... I could get a lot of weeks of TROSA lawn service for that price. I also wouldn't have to about my robot mower joining forces with the neighborhood Roombas to rise up, massacre me and vacuum up all traces of the crime.

Ross Grady said...

wuh-oh! You've been 30Threaded: http://www.30threads.com/2008/09/15/what-should-you-do-if-your-neighbors-dont-pick-up-their-dogs-poop/

Now the WHOLE TRIANGLE is going to know about your poop problems!

Lisa B. said...

I guess that's what I get for publishing a poop problem post!

Ginny said...

Oh, I hope you don't mind. I just totally identified with where you were coming from. I made a sign a month or so ago b/c I was fed up with my neighbors. It didn't help though. I was sitting outside two nights ago and noticed another big pile.

Lisa B. said...

No, I don't mind at all ;-)

Valerie said...

I think about half the people would respond. You could put out a little stand with baggies. The sign would have to be nice or funny, though. Something along the lines of "If you sprinkle when you tinkle..." How about "If there's doodle from your poodle, don't be crass I have to mow this grass."

Okay, I need more coffee. :)

Lisa B. said...

You're a poet!

andrew said...

As soon as we bought our house we torn up our lawn and put down gravel. Gardening done for the next 20 years! We balanced the damage mining the stone did cmpared to teh damage lawns do to the world and the stone chips won.

Lisa B. said...

At my former house I replaced most of the front lawn with a garden. I wasn't very large, but I would have had to do a lot of watering to get the grass to grow there properly, so I got rid of it. It was rather experimental because I had to find plants that would thrive with neglect in lots of hot afternoon sun. I keep hoping that non-lazy Lisa will come up with a plan for my current front yard ... I'll leave the back yard grass because it's purpose is dog training.