Sunday, October 26, 2008

This post brought to you by Major League Baseball

I'm multitasking ... writing this while watching Game 4 of the World Series. Except that at this point there's no actual baseball going on because they're doing all the recap/pregame buildup with a break every two minutes so Fox can cram as many commercials as possible into the beginning of the broadcast. I think there are three minutes of ads for every one minute of sports talk.

I missed the first three games because, darn, I was in London.

I had an excellent time ... but no, I didn't do all those many things one simply must do when one is in London. Good reason to go back, I guess. I did have a pint in a pub and a cup of coffee in the cafe in the Crypt (at St.-Martin-in-The-Fields), so alliteratively speaking the trip was a huge success.

I'm currently working on my cloyingly pretentious Madonna-esque fake British accent. I can say queue instead of line without even thinking about it now, and every once in a while I'll even pronounce a T sound instead of a D sound in words like "pretty."

I took some pictures. Coming soon to a Flickr photostream near you.

Coming home I was on the first international flight into the brand-spanking-new terminal at RDU. I saw a bit of it through the glass walls of the corridor that international arrivals are funneled through to Passport Control and Customs. Looks a lot like an airport terminal. Then I stood in line (oops, I'm supposed to say queue, aren't I?) for 45 minutes ... at least four times as long as I've ever had to wait to get back into this country before (all at far busier airports than RDU). I think other countries are perfectly well within their rights to make me wait forever to be admitted if that's what they want to do, but it annoys me (I mean, makes me cross) when my own country does it.

But back to baseball, it's the bottom of the 5th and Tampa Bay is making me very, very sad ...

2 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

The new terminal is open already?! I know I've been gone for a few months, but wow, it seems like they finished quickly.

I went to Reynosa, MX for dinner tonight with family. Reynosa is just across the border from Mission TX, so we walked back while my cousin Edi drove the car (dinner had been hefty). At immigration/customs, I had to wait in line behind two people: my niece and her mom.

My niece got to the immigration/customs guy quickly, and he seemed to be keeping her a little longer than expected. As I caught up, I heard the conversation between immigration guy, my niece, and my cousin's wife.

IG: She says she doesn't know where she's coming from

Cousin's wife: What?

IG: I asked her where she's coming from, and she didn't know.

Cousin's wife: Yeah, that's my daughter.

Niece: I can't remember the name of the restaurant.

Me: I think that "Reynosa" is all you need to say.

Lisa B. said...

Yes, the new terminal officially opened Sunday ... but I think they brought some planes into it Saturday night because they didn't want to have move them overnight. It looks quite nice ... I was being flip when I said it just looks like a terminal. I never had a problem with the old terminal, though.

I think I identify with your niece, or at least I can see why she interpreted the question that way ... I mean if I were on foot at a border crossing in Reynosa, I would probably assume it was obvious I was coming from Reynosa and think the guy was looking for something a bit more specific.

Also, although I don't have a reason to, I always get nervous at immigration (even though they are always way nicer and more relaxed than the TSA screeners). So no matter what they ask I'm always afraid I'll say the wrong thing.