Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Is that a tamale in your pocket or ...

My friend Sue is on a quest to find the best tamales in Durham. Problem is, she doesn't even like tamales so she's not a good judge (she's doing this for her dad, who does like tamales but isn't the type of guy who would go eat at random taquerías or, ¡dios mio! trucks or buses). I am very fond of the tamales at Tacostumbras, the taquería inside the Town & Country at University & Dixon (and I'm more fond of their tacos de asada, and fondest of all of the fact that I could walk there ... if it weren't always after dark when I feed my taco habit). So I'm putting the question out there: who's got the best tamales in Durham? Or: if you were going to give someone tamales for Xmas, whose tamales would you give?

Gracias.

6 comments:

lal:tree said...

Relatedly, and I realize this is pretty much an impossible dream, are there any non-meaty tamales to be had around here? (Besides the frozen section at Trader Joe's?)

Lisa B. said...

Good Question. I'm pretty sure all of the restaurants put some sort of meat (usually pork) in their tamales, and since they are prepared in advance they don't do special requests. Whole foods has some vegetarian tamales in their freezer section, and in the Raleigh store I've found cheese tamales in the deli case with the sandwiches and sushi.

Thunk! said...

A dining companion spoke very highly of the tamale she had at Costa Azule on Guess Rd.

Sylvia P. said...

There used to be some really good tamales (now, stay with me here) at the food stand inside the flea market on Capital Blvd. No lie. But it has been, probably 3 or 4 years since I've been there. I would probably recognize the woman if it is the same one. And, I can't recall, it may be that that place is only open on weekends/Saturdays...well anyway, there's another red herring for you.

Lisa B. said...

Capital Boulevard ... well those would be Raleigh tamales. They don't count ;-) But if I'm ever in there I'll look for them.

hex conduction hour said...

Tacostumbras does have awesome tamales. I was surprised by how good they were at Chubby's on 9th St. are too -- give them a shot!