Thursday, May 21, 2009

Gimme the 411 on tacos in raleigh ...

I was talking today to folks at work about tacos and pupusas, and everyone said "We don't have any taquerias here in Raleigh." I know that has to be a lie ... but then I couldn't actually think of any off the top of my head. Then again, I don't really know Raleigh ... I just work there and then I get the hell back to Durham, where we have muchos tacos buenos (and pupusas too)! So I'm axin' ya: Where are the Raleigh taquerias? Are they any good? I've seen a few taco trucks, but I don't know where to find them at lunch time on a week day. I'd like to find a good place I can coax some co-workers to for lunch one day. Anyone? Bueller?

10 comments:

girlnblack77 said...

It's a shame NC State's basement doesn't host 'Carpe Raleigh'. Again, we trump. ;)
I'll ask around...

Lisa B. said...

Durham is the shizzle! Let me know what you come up with.

Ross Grady said...

1) There's a Chubby's in Raleigh now: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/25/1434100/restaurant/West-Raleigh/Chubbys-Tacos-Raleigh

2) Some friends seem to like this place, but I dunno if it's really a taqueria (menu looks OK to me, though): http://www.dostaquitoscentro.com/

3) My friend Tim is obsessed with this taco truck: http://www.facebook.com/friends/?ref=tn#/group.php?gid=22313129094

There are probably a few others, but I'm not a Raleighite. Could try Chowhound.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks Ross. I'm definitely going looking for the taco truck.

I eat at Dos Taquitos Centro all the time, but it's not what I consider to be a taqueria. I consider something a taqueria if I can actually imagine a mexican construction worker getting lunch or dinner there. If I can't, it's just a mexican restaurant. Dos Taquitos is really good, but it's not a taqueria.

butcept said...

oooooohhhh...I wanna try one! Thanks for the link Ross. I hope I can catch it.

BTW, Dos Taquitos on Creedmoor is *the* original. It may not be the taquiera you are looking for, but you should try a meal there (like the empanadas)...my favorite place.

Lisa B. said...

I've eaten at that Dos Taquitos as well. I like it very much ... if it were anywhere near my life's normal route I'd go there a lot more!

Meg B. said...

Haven't been in a while but the BP on Capital Blvd. near the Cookout has an AMAAAAZING taqueria in it. I usually avoid Capital like the plague but I may have to venture back soon!

Lisa B. said...

Thanks! I'll try it!

salley said...

i like los cuates as well- takeout on capitol, eat in up wake forest rd.

Lisa B. said...

I'll add that the list! Thanks!