Sunday, August 23, 2009

He smelled his first poem on a buttery day

I did some things I had planned to do. That doesn't always happen.

Friday night I made chilaquiles. I cut the tortillas into strips before frying them, just because I've seen it done that way at restaurants. But I didn't realize until I was making the stuff that I didn't have any jalapeños. I had thought I did, but no, all I had were green chiles. So it didn't end up very spicy, and the bit I ate Friday night was rather boring. (Not that I like things too spicy, however. A friend and I had ultra-spicy chilaqiles at a local taqueria that neither one of us could eat.)

Anyway, I tried figure out how to rescue the chilaquiles, and I saw I had some hot red enchilada sauce in the cupboard. So I layered the meaty/beany stewy stuff in a casserole dish with the fried tortillas and some cheese, and then I doused it liberally with the enchilada sauce and stuck it in the fridge. Last night I pulled it out at baked it at 350 degrees for ... I don't remember how long. Until it looked baked. It was delicious! Hooray!

If I hadn't been able to save it I think I might have gone off cooking for a while. One of the (many) reasons I don't cook much is that after all the effort, I often don't like what I make. Wouldn't it be easier just to have a sandwich? That way I don't waste my effort (and expense) for what could be a big letdown. A sandwich is easier to predict.

Also, I went and did actual yoga in an actual yoga class yesterday. Nobody laughed at me. Everyone in the class was a beginner except for one Experienced Yoga Girl who was slumming in our class because she was apparently trying to get her boyfriend into yoga. He put forth a brave effort, but I'm not sure if he was having a lot of fun. I actually did have fun, except for a few brief moments in a few poses, er, asanas I guess they're really called. Unfortunately, when I went in I had a tiny glimmer of a headache, and by the time class was done I had developed an actual migraine. So any yoga high I may have had was ruined. Still, my body felt much better than usual. I'm usually plagued by muscle tension, stiffness and miscellaneous aches and pains. At least one part of my body is in discomfort or pain at any given time. After the yoga, not so much.

Unfortunately, my normal schedule probably won't allow for a lot of yoga classes. I'm on a break from dog classes right now, but they start up again next week, plus I've got some weekend agility trials to go to. During the week I take three agility classes (one with each dog) and I teach two classes, so it's not going to be easy to make yoga class a habit. I think I'll go to a "restorative" yoga class today, and then maybe something during the week, but then I think it will be three weeks before I can maybe fit in a class. Bummer.

6 comments:

santos. said...

huzzah! what's that in spanish? ¡olé! maybe. enchilada sauce is awesome!

Lisa B. said...

It is! Thanks for the chilaquiles idea. I think it's a recipe I'll play with more in the future.

Of course, Michael Pollan is disappointed that I used enchilada sauce from a can. Oh yeah, and the beans and green chiles are from a can, too. I'm such a disappointment!

girlnblack77 said...

If you ever have your house to yourself, I'd like to recommend getting a yoga video or dvd. I had one ("PM Yoga", I think?) that was nicely paced and very relaxing... that is, when my kids weren't in the room pointing-laughing-stepping on me. lol

Lisa B. said...

I did try a yoga DVD (I have to get the dogs out of the room or they want to jump on me and lick my face. Other than the dogs, I always have the house to myself.) I wasn't nuts about the DVD. Maybe it was too hard and I should try an easier one. Also, I hated trying to look up at the TV to see what I was supposed to be doing. APerhaps I would need to watch the DVD once to see the whole sequence before I get on the floor and try to do it ...

But I found there was something about being in class that was way more peaceful and relaxing than any of my attempts to do yoga at home. No dogs, no phone, no dustbunnies under the couch to worry about ... Plus I've really beed to solitary for most of the past year. I've spent too much time by myself and I need to make myself get out and about!

girlnblack77 said...

I've always wanted to go down to the Central Park area of town on a weekend morning and join the group that's supposed to be there... but I think I'd have to try an in-person yoga class before I could bear the thought of joining them in such a public manner. lol

Lisa B. said...

Yeah, I think the park is a little too public for my yoga. Also, it's not climate-controlled. It gets dang hot and humid out there, even early on a Saturday morning!