Monday, August 31, 2009

You must have the courage of your convictions

I'm in possession of more ingredients and am trying to figure out what to do with them. My friend Cindy gave me a bunch more tomatoes (including lots of romas), yellow, orange and green bell peppers, some banana peppers (some hot, some not, but I've jumbled them all together and now I'm not sure which is which) and a bunch of basil.

The tomatoes and basil are easy: pizza margherita! But I've got way more tomatoes and basil than I need for that, unless I were going to make ten of them. So now I need to find recipes for the rest of the stuff. Easy recipes.

I should have done something with all these fresh things last night, but I was exhausted after spending the day training dogs at Cindy's house. Aside from being way out in the middle of Alamance county, the place is a little paradise with an agility field, horses, a huge garden and a really gorgeous landscaped patio area. She's got a husband who is constantly doing projects around the place. I've never seen him not working on stuff. I never had one of those ... mine watched movies all the time. Where does one go to get one of the useful ones? Not that I want another one. But I really could use a shed out back ...

3 comments:

santos. said...

you're so lucky! i never see romas here unless they are canned or anemic. i have a couple of favourite recipes for tomatoes you might want to try.

simple balsamic tomato pasta: sauté three cloves of garlic in a little olive oil, add 6 chopped tomatoes, 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp of oregano. cook for 10 minutes, take off heat. add 1 bunch of basil, chopped or torn, and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese. toss into hot pasta of your choice or serve on grilled bread. you can also make a tomato sauce w/o the balsamic but with a little dried chili flakes then freeze it.

roasted tomato sauce: roughly chop a pound or so of tomatoes, place in a baking pan, drizzle with some olive oil, bake in a 400˚F oven for 15-20 minutes. add to pasta with torn basil leaves, feta cheese and olives. you can also take 1/4-1/2 of a phyllo sheet, brush it with melted butter, smoosh it into a muffin tin then top it with roasted tomato sauce, basil, olives, and feta cheese. bake in 400˚F oven for 10-15 minutes until golden and bubbly.

you can also make a panzanella/bread salad with chunks of day old bread, grilled or toasted. mix in roughly chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, torn basil, some capers, olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. done! also good with orzo instead of bread.

santos. said...

oh nerr, instead of the cucumbers in the panzanella, use bell peppers. you can also stuff the bell peppers with chunks of tomatoes, chunks of cheese, and basil, drizzle with olive oil then bake in 350˚F for 30 minutes. or you can add any leftover cooked rice or grain and ground turkey to that.

Lisa B. said...

Wow! All of this stuff sounds so good. I was thinking along the lines of the stuffed pepper idea, maybe using some of the plentiful ground turkey I have in my freezer.

Thanks!