Monday, September 21, 2009

I'll be the squirrel and you be the nut

Doing things, doing things ... I always feel like I need to write about doing things (as opposed to just thinking about them ...). And by that I mean doing things other than sitting on the sofa eating Moose tracks and watching Desperate Housewives or The IT Crowd on DVD. (God Damn These Electric Sex Pants! You there, computer man, fix my pants!)

I did some radio on Saturday--Mondo Mundo. First time in almost a year. Things were going swimmingly until sometime in the second hour when I had it together enough to get more than one track cued up at a time, and of course I started pushing the wrong button to start the wrong song, pushing the wrong button to eject the wrong cd ... etc. I think my playlist kicked a little ass, though.

Also, I made pizza! It looked like this:

i made pizza

It tasted pretty good, but I made the mistake of trying to make it all "healthful" and stuff by substituting 1 cup of the white flour with whole wheat flour. I had forgotten that I just don't really like whole wheat pizza crust. I used "quick and easy" crust recipe I found on Allrecipes.com, but I think next time I'll see if a not-so-quick one tastes better. Also, what if I put butter in the mix instead of olive oil? That just seems like it would be yummier, but maybe there's some pizza-crust chemistry reason why I shouldn't do that ...

As for the top of the pizza, it all came out of a can (except for the cheese, which came out of a plastic wrapper) because that's what I found in my cupboard, and the decision to make the pizza was based on the fact that it was a dinner I could make without going to the store. So again, I guess Michael Pollan can bite me ...

6 comments:

leff said...

yeah yeah, you can only defend food so much. i can't make everything from scratch unless it's my job. Usually, I'm too busy in Mr. Renham's pants. (IT crowd s.3 is the best season).

Lisa B. said...

I think a plant from a can or the freezer is better than a food-like substance constructed from reconstituted corn products ... I think M.P. would agree with that, at least.

And IT Crowd S. 3 is most definitely the best yet!

georg said...

butter for oil is a tricky substitution. butter is about 80% fat so you'd probably need to use more butter than oil. it'd definitely make the dough richer. probably more browning. probably softer.

Lisa B. said...

Maybe I'll just start by trying a different recipe next time before I muck with the butter/oil thing. Also leave out the whole wheat flour ...

Marsosudiro said...

That's a really good looking photo you took. I mean, the pizza looks yummy, of course. But the photo looks like it was lit, shot, processed and published by someone who was getting paid. Awesome!

Lisa B. said...

Thanks, Phil! The secret, if one doesn't have studio lighting, is natural light. I put it on the table right by a window and let the daylight work its magic. I think it makes everything look better than other kinds of light ... My crappy food photos are usually the ones taken after it gets dark and I have to rely on overhead lights, lamps or my crummy flash.