Friday, October 09, 2009

You're too busy trying not to appear shallow to actually be deep

So, Facebook sort of steals my blogging thunder. It's far easier to blurt out a however-many-characters-or-less status update than to actually write a blog entry. It's like the internet is killing the internet. Or something.

Anyway, I'm still wondering exactly how to work the whole Facebook friend thing. I thought it was supposed to be a place to "connect" (whatever the hell that means) with people you already know (even if you've never met them in person ... hi online friends! Love ya!). But I often get friend requests from friends of friends, i.e., people who only know me from comments I've posted on friends' status updates. I always feel in a quandary about whether to accept or not ... I usually end up doing it because, well I guess because I don't want to be unfriendly or anything ...

But sometimes I feel like I have too many "friends." I have such a huge barrage of status updates to sift through and I think I miss half of the "important" ones. I'll be talking to someone in "real" life and they'll say something like "I posted that on Facebook, didn't you see it?" Then I feel bad because it's like I'm ignoring them or something, when really I just didn't have time to get through all the posts from all the people whose lives have ever intersected mine ...

I know you can hide people so their updates don't show up, but then why am I their "Facebook Friend" in the first place?

Despite the effort required to write the damn posts, blogging is in some respects much easier. You're free to come read what I write if you want to ... or not. Nothing really to keep track of on my end. But then there are all of your blog posts waiting for me to read in my RSS feed ...

5 comments:

girlnblack77 said...

With the exception of four online friends, I only befriend folks I'd recognize on the street and stop to say 'hello' to... Casual acquaintances don't even make the cut. I agree with the whole 'hiding' thing... but sometimes friends will have separate pages for their businesses, and I'll become a 'fan' to show my support but end up having to hide it, too. I'd rather hide folks than defriend them, because at least that way you can reach them through FB and you can have wall-to-wall conversations without seeing their 5x-a-day updates.

Lenore said...

I recommend creating a group for the people who have statuses that you don't want to miss. Then you can check that periodically to be sure you didn't miss what they posted.

I only friend people I've met in person and 2 or 3 people that I've known on-line for almost 20 years.

Marsosudiro said...

Though it might not have been your plan to write on this, thanks for helping me see the extra value of having a blog separate from FB!

My blog automatically copies itself to FB as a note. But I like having the separate blog to be found via Google by whoever wants to find the -content-.

In general, I think you're helping me see that for me, blogging is about content. FB is about sharing with friends (close or otherwise). Sometimes I want to share content with friends, and that's fine. But when I want to just publish content, I'm going to the blog.

That said, this line "It's like the internet is killing the internet." really cracked me up. And you're right.

htrouser said...

I recommend quiting Facebook. Really. After a month or two away the whole thing seems pretty weird and unnecessary anyway.

I figure that if someone can't be bothered to Google me, I probably don't really need to be in touch with them, let alone fed a constant update about the minutiae of their life.

And it really is killing blogging. So it's got to go!

Valerie said...

I was thinking about dog training today, which led me to thinking about agility, which led me to thinking about how I hadn't read your blog in a long time b/c the only thing I read these days is on Facebook. So I think you should friend me. :p

Hope you're well~ I did add your RSS feed to my reader now. Off to investigate doggie one now!

Valerie