Saturday, December 05, 2009

Right back to boring again ...

So I got a new furnace. And ductwork. Turns out there are more and less efficient ways to distribute heat/and air, and mine is now more. Funny thing, I can even look at the new ductwork and, applying my college-intro-course-level understanding of how the physical world works, see exactly why it's more efficient than the previous system. Yep, there's all kinds of efficiency going on over here at Casa de Pants.

Now I have to pay for it all. I already took a big hit earlier this year when my cute little dog Pinky broke her leg, and I really didn't want to spend down any more of my emergency cash because, well, I just didn't. So I'm starting out with the "12-month-no-interest" financing thingie that the installer people offered. Normally these deals can be bad news, because they're a way of suckering people into buying crap they don't need and can't afford, like rooms full of furniture and giant TVs and such. But I need a furnace and I was going to have to buy it even without a short-term offer of free money, so I took the offer. Of course, I have to give them ALL the money back before 12 months or they charge mafia-style interest on the whole amount, but I'm not going to let that happen.

Now I'm on a serious money-diet so I can pay this thing off. Essentially, I can officially afford to do NOTHING. Well, I've decided that yoga class once a week is still in because it's just too good for me to give up. And maybe once every couple of weeks I'm allowed to grab a beer or a taco with a friend. But I'm even cutting back on my dog agility which is really my Number One Favorite Thing in life. I was going to travel to the mountains in two weeks for my favorite agility trial all year, but I decided not to even after I was offered a free place to stay at a friend's house. I just decided the entry fees were money I really needed to not be spending at this point. (It's not cheap to enter agility trials.)

I'm also looking at other things to cut ... I would love to get rid of the stupid land-line, which costs almost $40.00 a month just to freaking exist. Not worth it, except that the are places in my house where I have a hard time getting a cell phone signal. So I'm paying almost 40 bucks a month just for the knowledge that I'll be able to call 911 if I need to. That's messed up.

Anyway, I could go on an on about all the things that just seem to cost too frakking much money and are not at all worth it. Maybe I will in coming posts ... it's my blog and I can bore you to death if I want ;-)

5 comments:

girlnblack77 said...

We gave up the landline over the summer. That Clark fellow on HLN - the financial guru dude - spoke highly of MagicJack. I don't know what kind of deals are out on it now, but if you have solid internet, it's great... and you assign your address to it for 911 trace-back (meaning you can update it if you move). It cost us less for a year of MagicJack than a month of traditional phone service. Hope this helps. :)

Lisa B. said...

I will look into MagicJack! Thanks--I'd never heard of it before.

The only thing that still gives me pause is remembering the ice storm of ... what year was it? '02? Massive cell phone outages and of course, no computers. But our land line still worked ... maybe I'm waay too hung up on 911, though. I've never actually had to call it in my life. I just worry is all.

girlnblack77 said...

I think it was '01, because my youngest was still a babe-in-arms.
Maybe it's just because I grew up in Alaska, but I don't sweat the ice storms. Look at it this way: even if you could call 911, it's not like they could get to you, given the condition of roads. lol

Lisa B. said...

True ... and I'm so sick of handing so much money over to Verizon for nothing ...

girlnblack77 said...

I sat down with my budget mid-year and got rid of lots of things. I also discovered the thing I could control the most was grocery spending. Drop me a line if you're interested in couponing. I've found several helpful sites... it's not so hard if someone else is doing all the coupon matchups for you... and it's not all prepackaged crap, either. :)