Friday, December 18, 2009

This blog item 99¢ off

  • Furnace inspection guy showed up yesterday a full 45 minutes before the end of his 4-hour "window." The furnace passed inspection.

  • This has nothing to do with anything, but if I were to make a Liz Lemon-esque "Dealbreakers" list I think I would include: "Is more or less my age and still reverently listens to The Smiths." ("Reverently" not including occasionally listening to "Ask" and singing along with gusto, because everyone should do that now and then.) The reason: Smiths reverence past the late 20s often correlates with the emotional maturity of a 13-year-old. Trust me on this one.

  • I may have found a solution to my petsitting dilemma. I don't want to say too much because I'm occasionally just ever so slightly superstitious, and I don't want to jinx it. But let's just say that frequent flier miles and a faraway friend may come to my rescue. Yes, it will likely be cheaper to fly someone in to look after my girls than to pay a local person. Well, the environment will pay the real price because the plane ride carries a heaver carbon burden than a car driving across town, but I'll let your children worry about that. (Insert winky smiley emoticon here to indicate that my callousness is mostly in jest. Not that it will stop me from flying in a friend if that's what it comes to ...) Anyway, it will mean that I won't have the use of those FF miles for my own gallivanting, but after the Wales trip (the ticket for which was purchased long before the furnace fiasco) I think I'll have to shelve the globe-trotting while I rebuild my financial safety cushion.

  • I played Mr. Bluelight's little Christmas Countdown sweepstakes contest game thingie at the Kmart web site and I won a free bottle of Dawn Ultra Dish Detergent. I was running low on dish detergent. Go me.

  • If I could subsist entirely on Pillsbury refrigerated dough products and Green Giant Frozen vegetables I could probably eat incredibly cheaply for months. It seems that I can't turn around without running into coupons for those items, and they also appear to be always on sale somewhere.

  • Oh, and did I mention the $5 yoga class on Sundays. Yes! There is a $5 yoga class on Sunday afternoons! It's Bliss For Less! Plus, they give the money from those classes to various charities. (In December I think it's the Durham Rescue Mission.)

4 comments:

girlnblack77 said...

This entire post rocks. I'm most intrigued by the 'Dealbreaker'. I am 99.9% certain you are correct with this correlation.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks! I am extremely confident in my Smiths correlation. Also in my Pillsbury/Green Giant hypothesis ;-P

big Al Davies said...

We must get Trevor to sing you a Smiths song when you arrive in Wales!

Lisa B. said...

Definitely. "Ask" is my favorite ...