Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Try one with a heap of scorn on the side

coupon pies

OK, so I managed to make some "Coupon Pies." In case you're just tuning in, I have previously sung the praises of Pillsbury Crescent rolls/dough, and I have also wondered if I could manage to come up with recipes that use it and Green Giant Frozen vegetables, because they're two things that seem to be always on sale with plentiful stacking coupons available.

Basically, I took some of my leftover xmas ham, mixed it with some (cooked) Green Giant Broccoli in Cheese sauce (yes, I know it's possibly not real cheese, but it is real sauce) and wrapped it all up in Crescent dough sheets (one roll of dough, cut in half, one half per pie). I baked it at 375 for ... Oh, I dunno, a little while. Until it looked like it does in the picture.

The verdict: It was OK. I mean anything with ham and crescent dough is going to be at least OK because, c'mon, it's ham and crescent dough! But I think it would have been better with real cheese and not the cheese sauce that comes with the broccoli. Partially because of the taste, but mostly because the cheese sauce made the bottom a bit soggy. No one wants a soggy bottom. So if I were going to do it again, I'd either use fresh broccoli or buy the frozen kind that's not in cheese sauce, and just add real cheese.

Another thing I'd do differently is come up with a way to fold the top instead of gathering it together, or maybe bake it at a slightly lower temp for a little longer. This is because the part at the top where all the dough comes together didn't cook completely. So to get that part cooked without burning the outside, I think I'd need longer time at lower temp, Maybe. I mean, I really don't know what I'm doing, I just make it all up as I go along ...

4 comments:

spacegrrl said...

i wonder if you could press the dough into muffin tins and make mini pies? you might have to add some egg to make it set up though.

Lisa B. said...

Yes, I've seen lots of recipes that put the crescent dough in muffin tins. I didn't try it this time because, well, that's a bit of labor and I was lazy and just wanted a really quick dinner! If I were making hors d'oeuvres or appetizers I'd try the muffin tin route. I don't think it needs egg to set up. Although brushing a little egg white on the top before baking would give it a nice gloss ...

girlnblack77 said...

One common fix for the soggy bottom that I've seen across several recipes at the Pillsbury site is to sprinkle rice krispies in the bottom before you put your filling inside your dumpling/pot pie/muffin cup.

Lisa B. said...

Oh, and I have a coupon for Rice Krispies, too! Thanks!