Thursday, February 18, 2010

Did I mention there's free chocolate?

Our Wednesday night recipe was something light and simple that I found over at Martha Stewart: Chicken Tenders with Cucumber Salad and Chickpea Couscous. It looked a little something like this:

Chicken tenders with chickpea couscous and cucumber salad

I forgot to buy raisins, so the couscous did without, and I added carrots to the salad because I thought it could use a bit of orange color. It was all really tasty, and I'll definitely try it again.

Now what shall we cook next week? Something Mexican, maybe?

And now for the "Coupon Dork" portion of our presentation, a little segment called "How much did Lisa save at Harris Teeter Super Doubles?" See, every so often Harris Teeter has Super Doubles, during which coupons up to $1.98 in value are doubled (HT always doubles coupons up to 99 cents). It's really a lot of fun, if you're idea of fun is saving a bunch of money and getting stuff for free.

I've been twice already. It was so much fun the first time I just had to go back. Actually, they will only double 20 coupons per day, so you need to go more than once to take full advantage. Also, you can only use 1 coupon on buy-one-get-one-free items at HT even though each item rings up at half price, so if you want to use more than one coupon you need to separate the items into two orders.

On the first visit, the order rang up at $48.58 (most of the items were on VIC special; without that discount it would have been about $20 more). After the coupons were scanned I paid $14.16, $4.61 of which was for the produce (for which I had no coupons). Here's what I got (the photo is annotated because I'm that geeky; click on it for full effect):



On the second visit I picked up a few items that weren't on VIC special, but were a good price with the doubled coupons. It rang up at $41.97 ( would have been about $50 without VIC discount), but I paid $12.33. And I got free chocolate! It looked like this (except that I bought another bag of coffee that I forgot to include in the picture; click for the full annotated goodness):



Mmmm, free chocolate ...

3 comments:

girlnblack77 said...

I think that Tazo tea is an excellent example of why I love couponing: not only do I manage to cut our grocery bill down to less than half, but doing so consistently allows me to splurge for things. Sometimes it's something for the kids, or coffee for me... or, like today, it's a rack of babyback ribs for the hubbie. :)
Somehow, when I've *saved* $98 in two days with HT, I don't mind laying out $20 for noncoupon items every now and then. :)

santos. said...

zomg, sad that i get such a thrill out of your shopping. i mean, it's genuinely great for you, but i don't even get to eat any of it, nor can i emulate--most places don't take coupons, let alone double them, and asian groceries, forget it.

although i gotta say....have you tried that sour cream before? it's so...omega three-eey.

Lisa B. said...

By Omega three-eey, do you mean it tastes like medicine? Blerg ... but it was free ;-) I was going to use it to try to fake the Harris Teeter Bacon Chipotle Cheddar dip, which is the bomb diggety. Maybe all the other flavors will mask the badness?

And I'm sorry you don't get the thrill of couponing :-(

GinB: I agree about the luxury thing. It feels less like I'm being extravagant if everything else is extremely cheap.