Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I always liked the name Martha ...

baba ghanouj

Sometimes I really love having a productive day at home completely to myself, which is what Sunday turned out to be. I did have tentative plans, but the extreme heat canceled them (I had been planning to go to the Durham Food Truck Rodeo* for my third time, but since it looks like it's going to be monthly I figured it would be OK to miss the one that occurred in 100+ temperatures). So I ended up spending the whole day (with a few small excursions to various stores) at home actually getting stuff done. And some of the stuff I did was cooking and baking.

It's the time of year when my friend Cindy's garden produces an overabundance of veggies, so Saturday I accumulated a kitchen full. I shredded a bunch of zucchini and stuck it in the freezer for future zucchini projects (I'm going to try a savory zucchini bread). I have way more tomatoes than I have time to do anything with, but I also don't have time to run around finding homes for them.But she had so many they would have just fallen off the plants and rotted on the ground because she doesn't have time to pick them all. So I took them ... I suppose the worst thing that could happen is they end up feeding the worms in my compost pile instead of the critters and bugs in her garden ...

Anyway, she gave me a couple of eggplants, and I really wanted to have a go at baba ghanouj, which I adore. I had tried many years ago to make some and it turned out horrible, so I was a little afraid to try it again. I think my mistake that time was that I didn't roast the eggplants correctly or long enough. So I looked online for some tips and I found a nice little video on Chow. Worked like a charm! So then I just followed this recipe, except for the part where it told me how to roast the eggplants, and I ended up with absolutely the best baba ghanouj I've ever had. Yay me! I'm definitely going to add eggplants to my garden next year, because this stuff is habit-forming.

I also had some lemons lying around so I decided to make glazed lemon-coconut bars. I started with this recipe but I completely didn't follow it because I didn't have Bisquick (I formulated a substitution with flour, baking powder and salt ... thanks internets!), I didn't have a half-cup of egg substitute (I used two real eggs instead) and I accidentally mixed the 3/4 cup of sugar with the base layer, so I had to add another in the top layer. Yes, I used twice the amount of sugar. Anyway, the result was delicious, but not terribly good-looking:

glazed lemon coconut bars

*The Durham Food Truck Rodeo looks like it will be happening monthly at Durham Central Park. Probably the best place to find out when the next one will be is the Durham Central Park blog. I had a great time at the first two and plan to go to them as ooften as I can in the future.

2 comments:

Joe said...

I really like the picture of the baba ghanouj.

Lisa B. said...

Thanks!