Sunday, July 31, 2011

I made stuff ...

I was asked to bring a dessert to a thingie last week, and I decided to make something with peaches as I had just bought a bunch. This Martha Stewart recipe for Peach and Cornmeal Upside-Down Cake looked appealing to me ... mostly because it seemed really easy and all I had to buy was heavy cream. (Dang, heavy cream is rather pricey, isn't it? A pint of the stuff costs more than a gallon of milk.)

Well, it was really easy, although I'm not sure why mine looks so much different from Martha's:

peach and cornbread upside-down cake

Maybe I cooked the sugar/butter mixture too long? Dunno, but the cake was pretty damn good. It appeared to be a hit at the thingie (I brought along some Reddi Wip to top it with). I wonder how it would be with apples in the fall?

Then this weekend just for fun, I wanted to try making this Watermelon Pie recipe. I think I must have used a little too much watermelon, because after 4 hours in the fridge, the melon filling still had not set properly. So I was thinking the whole thing was a bust, but then I thought: what if it's a frozen watermelon pie? So I stuck it in the freezer. That set it up nice and firm, like a rock almost, so then I applied the whipped cream. I think to get the amount of whipped cream they have on their photo I'd have to double it. But whatever, here's what mine looked like:

food semi-fail: watermelon pie

Not bad, and it tasted pretty good, too. I want to make it again, but it was a little labor-intensive, so I'm not sure if I'll get to it before this year's watermelon season is over. Maybe next year.

3 comments:

Jenniffer said...

Hi Lisa! I saw your sewing basket cake on Cake Wrecks this morning and also at ICES a few weeks ago. You are incredibly talented!

Lisa B. said...

I would be if I had actually made that cake ;-) Alas, I just took a picture of it.

Neuse River News said...

I love the cake ,, i just wanted to have one of it :)